General can someone help confirm something?

Currently reading:
General can someone help confirm something?

reptep

Hi All,

Recently my manual 2012 fiat 500 sport took a dump (couldn't shift anymore) and I had to take it to the dealer. I don't really know anything about cars but there is 4 pages of invoices. Luckily they are all covered by warranty.

Now, when I leave the lights on and lock my car with the key fob, the lights don't turn off.

The manager said that is the expected behavior. He showed me another car with the same behavior. He said i did not have automatic lights.

I've been driving the car for almost 2 years, and I've never turned the lights off with the switch before. I always leave it to on and it turns off when I lock it with the key fob.

Then, he told me maybe, they finally fixed it they way it was suppose to be. Then I asked him, you guys sold me a brand new car that had defective electrical problems? He just shrugged.

So, can someone confirm what is the expected behavior, when the lights (including the daytime running lights) are on, and when you lock the car with the key fob, are they suppose to turn off?

I'm so frustrated. Very horrible service. They had my car for 3 weeks and returned my car without the headlights working on an empty tank. I also had to ask them to please fill one of my tires with air. I'm not really convince they do much with their multi-point inspections...

This is definitely my last fiat... =P

Thanks in advance for the help everyone.

If headlights are on and you turn car off and pull out keys the headlights should be off automatically.

You're right. But, the daytime running lights and the back lights stay on until you lock the car with the key fob. Or that's what i use to think.

If I leave my lights on and turn the car off ALL the lights go out, unless I hit the stem for the 'Follow me home' lights. (I have a 2013 500S TA)

When I turn the car back on the headlights/DRL's come on. I've never heard of a 500 leave the lights on after the key has been taken out before o_O

I wouldn't be so harsh as to say its the last Fiat you would consider, as any new (or old) cars have the chance of being a bit off from the start (there was a brand new £60k Merc that had to go back 3 times on Watch Dog not long ago).
This is more like a very suspect dealer not really helping at all, and making the experience sound like quite a chore.

Remember that lighting systems on cars produced for the US market may, or may not, function in the same way as the European 500's most of us on here are familiar with.

I could describe how the UK 500 lighting system works, but that could possibly be misleading here.

Thanks for checking. Now i don't remember how it actually works. All I'm sure of is that I didn't manually have to turn off the lights before. =)

Have you tried going on the Fiat website and downloading the manual for your version/year? It may note how the lighting works.

Hard to find any car today that does not have auto switch off for lights when you lock it or turn the engine off. I'd go to another dealer ASAP.

Back