Can DVD players become out dated

Currently reading:
Can DVD players become out dated

Big Black Stilo said:
if your feeling brave, and it is now perminantly stuck like this, you can pop the back off and there are sometimes adjustment screws on the tube/or main board that can correct this.

Either that or pop down the ex rental place and get a telly for £60

well, im dont feel up to taking the back off, as my brother near enough killed himslef taking a tv apart, and as ive spent £110 on my tv licence, i cant afford to buy on either :cry:

still got a 4" black and white telly tho :p

SkinzCinqSproting said:
Ive got a Sony DAV-S300 (shouldn't even be in england, my dad was solt it by curries and it was apparently the only one in UK stock and meant to be a spanish model) and it will play copies flawlessly unless they are NTSC and it throws a fit, and it won't touch CD-R/RW's but will play DVD-Rs (haven't tried DVD-RW's) no worries. Doesn't make sense, but its from around 2000 maybe. Thing is its my surround sound system or I'd happily buy a £20 special.

to me a £20 jobbie would look out of place on my set up and tried my brothers on my set up and the picture quality is awful. The Sony DVD recorder is excellent picture but crap at layer change.

Also the remotes on the cheap jobs do my head in. I likes a quality remote!

serin said:
well, im dont feel up to taking the back off, as my brother near enough killed himslef taking a tv apart, and as ive spent £110 on my tv licence, i cant afford to buy on either :cry:

still got a 4" black and white telly tho :p

dont wanna p1$$ on your chips but a black and white licence is cheaper.

If you going to take the back of, unplug it running and leave it a while to discharge live parts

Aye I like mine, goes with my styling scheme in my room, and it works beautifully with my PS2, i set it up specifically for GT4 :D, just winds me up how limited it is compared to cheap DVD players nowadays.

20k volts i do beleive some live parts can potentially store in tv if its got a standby mode.

I have no fear!

Nah not really, just know may way around the insides of a few things! Looks like i might be getting familiar with the insides of a dvd player soon!

There is a company, which tests DVD masters prior to release to make sure they are compatible with a wide variety of players. They actually have a huge stack of players and test the DVD in each one, inclusing menu structure etc. We supplied a lot of kit to them for more advanced testing of the surround sound.

As the region coding is being phased out on DVD's, some players have had problems with 0 coded DVD's (i.e no region code). Are the DVD's you have region free.

Ok follow up on this, it was basically put in storage while I packed stuff to move house, i moved in october and only just got round to setting up this player as a spare on my old telly in my spare room (office come gaming room!) It wasnt used for about a year or so.

Set it up, it came on, and doesnt recognise any discs at all. Looks like its foobar'd then, I'd pretty much say the laser pick up has died, and this problem i had was a symptom of this. Also think motor assembly has failed due to not spinning the disc all that fast either.

Basically, its going to sillicone heaven.

going to drop it off at the local tips WEEE centre, unless comet/currys et al give discounts on new stuff if you recycle.

Just thought id post so all those who replied could sleep soundly tonight knowing the problem is resolved.

In the market for a new DVD player, summat cheap for spare room but needs to handle subtitling ok as me mrs needs this, and the cheap tesco asda jobbies keep missing parts out, especialy if its on screen quickly

Thanks BBS, I haven't slept for 18months!!

Seriously it was a weird fault and perhaps only some PCB guru could have told you exactly what was wrong, to make you feel better my first DVD player went pop a few months ago, no warning just turned off, gave out a weird smell and that was that, opened it up to get my disc out to be met with pretty much the inside of a PC.

Liam

it is a shame as it is a better player than the sony recorder, it did cost a lot to buy but 10 years is ok for susch devices i suppose.

My sony VHS VCR has not hit i think about 11 or 12 years old, still plays but you have to rewind tapes before ejecting and doesnt record, wanted a new sony but they dont make them anymore :( wanted it for VHS transfer to DVD, (got about 200hrs+ to archive)

Mind you, if a can get some drive belts i have a VCR from 1987 thats still good for playing and recording. (the pause would give a true freeze frame on it, like a dvd)

some of the cheaper players can get a little overwhelmed by new discs, esp the ones with loads of extras, remember when the matrix came out? the "follow the white rabbit" feature caught out many players, even my then brand new samsung, there apparantly rules for players and disc encoding, but as ever manufacturers are always looking to push the envelope and get something cool, new and different onto their product.

Mind you, if a can get some drive belts i have a VCR from 1987 thats still good for playing and recording. (the pause would give a true freeze frame on it, like a dvd)

My mum still has a JVC video that we bought in 1985 - 23 years old and still going strong! It was repaired once, and though the picture is a bit rough it still works. Credit to JVC on that one (y)

cant even remember the brand of this one, the front flaps missing. the main drive belt to the gears (ff, play, reverse etc) has gone slack, so it just crunches and does nothing.

could probably get them from maplins.

Just had a flashback this evening, watching ultravoxs dancing with tears in my eyes video on youtube, the telly in his house is like the one we had at that time, and it is still working in my mrs dads garage! we had it in our lounge from the mid eighties to 96, I had it from then in my room until 98/99 when i bought this dvd player in this thread, it had no scart so my folks bought a widescreen, i got the one out of the living room (again) and my brother had the 80s one till he got a dvd player in 03, then its been in the mrs dads garage ever since, and still works, and has a better picture than most lcd plasma tellys ive seen and indeed the £900 toshiba widescreen CRT i have now

Back