General buying a Fiat Marea 1.6 SX WEEKEND '00

Currently reading:
General buying a Fiat Marea 1.6 SX WEEKEND '00

quilmore

Hi all
I'm intrested in buying a Fiat Marea 1.6 SX WEEKEND '00 with 37000 miles in the clock
what should I look in particular for this car?
does it have any individual weak point?

anyone with an idea about price in Republic of Ireland?

thanks, and if all goes well I'll be participating in this forum soon as another owner

With its age you want to be thinking cambelt change.

You've found a pretty new one though, nice low mileage.

Electrics: Do a check of everything. Lights (external and internal). Windows. Fans (internal and engine bay). Wipers - especially the rear one!

Bodywork: Check for doors all opening and closing without clunks or stiffness. Both parts of tailgate close and open correctly. Fuel cap lever opens filler cap cover. Alignment of bumpers/wings. Check seats are secure and intact. Check for damp upholstry from leaking/blocked sunroof/bulkhead drains.

Things to consider/check:
1. 2 blue keys + 1 burgundy(maroon).
2. 1 alarm key (if alarm is available)
3. Code card (code for alarm + mechanical code)
4. User manual (if still available)
5. check all indicators are functioning well at the panel such as airbag indicator, ABS & ect.
6. Previous Maintenance records

p/s ...gearbox auto or manual?

Last edited:
subija said:
Things to consider/check:
5. check all indicators are functioning well at the panel such as airbag indicator, ABS & ect.

p/s ...gearbox auto or manual?

you're spot on
only 1 blue key

the key they have has the alarm button in it, is that what you're talking about?

I haven't seen it, probably not there

yes, full set (something at least!)

I've seen the ABS indicator for a few seconds when starting the car, is that it? I'll have to have another look at the airbag indicator

this is a big one, I could find nothing, only one stamp on the door but no records, the dealer said that was all done by an independant garage and they have just forgot to record anything. it sounded dodgy...
Although, I know of other cars that have never gone to official garages and only have a few invoices with what as done to them
I'm going to seek for a mecanic (my friend's) to get him to go down and have a better look

the car looks very well to my untrained eye
but top part of tailgate was a bit stiff (thanks Hellcat)

I'll have to assume that timing belt hasn't been done and I'll have to have it replaced, is it something my independant can do or is something that is recommended to have it done by an "official"?

thanks Subija and Hellcat
the car really tempted me, so I'll try to get a full picture of all that needs to be done today or tomorrow and I'll make an offer, hopefully by tomorrow

Even the 1.6SX is a nice car with a lot of kit and very practical. All UK versions had a/c not sure about Irish cars. If fitted check that it works, switch it on with the engine running and listen for the compressor clurch engaging. If the milage is genuine then since it is a 12K interval don't worry ,buy it service it change the the cam belt now and at 90K and enjoy, if the price is right.
You can buy a blue key, it wil only let you program up to 2.

Many thanks Renegade_8
I didn't see anything like an A/C
I think we don't need it in Ireland, never as hot as in England (highest temperature in the last 25 years is just over 31 degrees C)

Renegade_8 said:
If the milage is genuine then since it is a 12K interval don't worry ,buy it service it change the the cam belt now and at 90K and enjoy, if the price is right.
what?
sorry, I don't understand you...

Air con is actually good for demisting the windscreen.. will take it from fogged up to clear in a few seconds - better than the Ford electric front screen which is known to crack windscreens.

Look for the 'Max Def' setting on the right-hand dial.

I went today with my trusted mechanic
we went for a spin and have a thorough check

we (he) found this:
- front wing (driver side) has been re-painted, no signs of been replaced but no totally perfect, I'd say this is a minor thing
- milleage is genuine and engine, suspension, body, steering are in top condition
- interior, electricals, fans, windows are also in good condition

but...

- at the first heavy braking the ABS light showed up and stayed up
they were doing the brakes at the time I went to have a test run, so probably a sensor was disconnected
or something worse...
- when my mechaninc force the clutch it slipped, nothing to worry as that was a heavy test and it did not slip during regular use

I have pointed this out to the dealer and showed intrested in the car, but the ABS thingy needs to be fixed

Also that the timing belt will be checked and replaced if not in good condition, he'll give me 1 month warranty on that
I'll have to do it anyway, but I'll have it done with my trusted independant, he budget it at about 260 euro

We agreed that when the ABS was fixed he'll give me a call and I'll go to buy the car
That was today at about 11 am, he hasn't ring me yet...
I'm still waiting...

yep...thinking about a model like this too....
year 2000 weekend model 51,000 miles £1295 - i know there may be cheaper buts its in great nick

Prices in Ireland are all different
this car is considered VERY cheap (not only by the dealer) at just under 3000 euro
That's the way used cars are being traded here, UK is always cheaper, but to transfer a car from over there is a nightmare and very expensive

well...let us know what its like when you get it...
you getting it this weekend>?

Well...
Finally today the dealer rang me saying that the car was done and the ABS issue was resolved
So, I've got my check book, got the wife in the back seat of my motorbike and away we went (our son was sleeping, so if we were quick we'll be back in time for when he woke up)
From the distance I could see the car, it was running and some guy was testing the brakes
When I got there my wife got to know all about it, until then she was not aware of all this, amazingly she guessed within 50 euro of the asking price of the car, I don't know how she managed...

Well... the brake light was still on
The dealer said something, but I didn't want to hear another excuse and walked away
If he rings me on monday I'll give it a chance
If not, I'll start looking elsewhere

nothing
no call, nothing at all
I haven't call him either
I'm starting to fed up of this dealer

I'm not in a hurry, so I'll wait
many other cars will be on the market in the next month, so no rush now...

Back