Technical Bright White Lights?

Currently reading:
Technical Bright White Lights?

Wootton

Hello Guys.

I have a quick question about headlights that really is doing my head in.

I recently bought some Bosch headlights from Halfords, that are meant to be '50% brighter' than standard and 'xenon' too. They were slightly brighter BUT they still gave out a yellow light.

So, I exchanged those gor the Halfords Extreme Brilliance lights which are '90% brighter' than standard lights ( also cost me £40 for the two together). These admittedly are much brigther, BUT, they are still not white enough compared to what other cars seem to have.

I have a Punto Sporting MK1. Is it my car? Because I see other cars that have really nice White Lights, yet the ones i buy seem to still be yellow.

Any suggestions?

I just cant understand why it is not white? How come other people buy bubs like mine and yet they are white?

I really cannot get my head around it.

Yeah I did look at HID kits, but i really dont have the money to spend like £80 on one lol :(

Halogen lamps are not hot enough to be pure white. The 90% brighter you have are about as good as they get for colour temperature.

HID can go though white & into blue (ultraviolet). Anything above 4500K will look blue. Keep it white and the MOT bloke (and the Police probably wont notice. Go hotter and the lights give less useful light dazzle people with UV and look obviously HID getting you pulled.

Apart from light colour, HID bulbs are not the same shape as the original halogen bulbs so will not sit in the correct focus for the lamp lens and reflector. This causes some areas of the bean to scatter and dazzle. Legally they must be type approved. But of curse if an HID bulb fits by chance no-one need know.

This gives the legal issues from Hella.
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/116777/792458.aspx
Scroll down to Tue, Oct 28 2008 6:41 PM

At 27KV, the electrocution bit is possible but you would need to be pretty silly to try holding the leads with wet hands. But otherwise I agree with him. If my lights do the job I need (i.e. light the way ahead) I don't care about the colour being a bit yellow.

Get over it or buy proper HID headlights at who knows what expense.

Back