General Bravo 1.9 sport mpg

Currently reading:
General Bravo 1.9 sport mpg

El1980

Hi all , new to owning a diesel just wanted to check the actual mpg I'm averaging 23 miles per day to and from work , I filled up with a full tank of diesel 4 days ago costing £60 and so far it's gone down quarter of a tank ? I was under the impression diesels were economical I feel that the fuel is not lasting as long ? Is this normal or am I missing something ? Or can I help improve the mpg ? Thanks guys

Is that 23 miles or 23 miles each way? If each leg of your journey is only 11.5 miles the engine isn't warm for a substantial proportion of the time particularly as diesels don't warm up as fast as petrol cars. Secondly is it mostly urban or rural miles? On the face of it it doesn't sound too bad to me on short runs you can never expect too much in the way of economy and certainly never near the official eu test figures which are performed under artificial closer to ideal conditions. What is the average on your trip computer or more importantly your average brim to brim?

Thanks guys for getting back to me journey is 11.5 miles each way it's urban driving ,
Mpg says 43 on the counter .
Would servicing the car help mpg ? Also is the remap or tuning make a big difference ? Thanks for your help and advice

Would servicing the car help mpg ? Also is the remap or tuning make a big difference ? Thanks for your help and advice

If its due then yes, however for your type of journeys a petrol would have been a better choice in all honesty, Diesels are mile munchers, not stop starters. I do a 50 mile a day round trip to work, and having a diesel is only just viable, much less and a petrol would be just as good, if not better.

If its due then yes, however for your type of journeys a petrol would have been a better choice in all honesty, Diesels are mile munchers, not stop starters. I do a 50 mile a day round trip to work, and having a diesel is only just viable, much less and a petrol would be just as good, if not better.

I do a 9.1mile each way commute, so 5000 miles a year, plus 5000 miles of longer runs. Generally I get 48mpg on a commuting ony tankful. My last fill up was 54 litres for a 240m round trip Peterborough to Purley & back ( A1m, A14, M11, M25, A22 ), 160m round trip Peterborough to Oxford ( A605, A45, A43, B430 ) plus 216 miles of my commute. That was 51.6mpg. I do very little town driving, and I find half MEP's mileage is still viable!

I do a 9.1mile each way commute, so 5000 miles a year, plus 5000 miles of longer runs. Generally I get 48mpg on a commuting ony tankful. My last fill up was 54 litres for a 240m round trip Peterborough to Purley & back ( A1m, A14, M11, M25, A22 ), 160m round trip Peterborough to Oxford ( A605, A45, A43, B430 ) plus 216 miles of my commute. That was 51.6mpg. I do very little town driving, and I find half MEP's mileage is still viable!

Is that MPG the cars is telling you or that you've worked out by hand?

Is that MPG the cars is telling you or that you've worked out by hand?

That's buying the car with 15 miles on the clock, and brimming the tank, brimming the tank again on Saturday at 48060 miles, and having put 4443.18 litres of diesel in during the intervening period. It works out at 49mpg average over the 4 years, 10 months, and 16 days I've had the car. I've done better on mpg the last couple of years than I did the first two.

I've got a spreadsheet, records every fill up, price, mileage, date, plus service bills, insurance, everything the car has cost me. If I threw the car away now, my nearly 5 years of motoring will have cost me about 41p / mile and and about 52 days of my life in the driving seat!

Last edited:
That's buying the car with 15 miles on the clock, and brimming the tank, brimming the tank again on Saturday at 48060 miles, and having put 4443.18 litres of diesel in during the intervening period. It works out at 49mpg average over the 4 years, 10 months, and 16 days I've had the car. I've done better on mpg the last couple of years than I did the first two.

I've got a spreadsheet, records every fill up, price, mileage, date, plus service bills, insurance, everything the car has cost me. If I threw the car away now, my nearly 5 years of motoring will have cost me about 41p / mile and and about 52 days of my life in the driving seat!

Snap (y)

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/freebo/bravo

My MPG had proper dropped over winter, it doesn't help that I have also moved much closer to work now.

Of course, 4443.18 litres is what I've paid for. No, I don't drive off without paying. No pumps under-deliver, trading standards would catch the garage out. Some older pumps significantly over deliver.

And 4443.18 litres is about 4000kg of diesel burnt, or 3 times the weight of the car ( without the wife in the passenger seat - don't tell her I said that :D )

Some older pumps significantly over deliver.

That's going to knock down your mpg, but I don't believe over the distance and quantity you have bought/consumed its going to be a significant difference.

My 2.0Mjet gets 48mpg on a 16 mile journey to work on twisty back roads in Scotland.

That's going to knock down your mpg, but I don't believe over the distance and quantity you have bought/consumed its going to be a significant difference.

My 2.0Mjet gets 48mpg on a 16 mile journey to work on twisty back roads in Scotland.

What's more relevant is the fuel cost per mile, which for me is £5,511.80 for 48,045 miles, or average 11.472 pence per mile.

The cheapest diesel I've put in the car was 98.9p / litre, less Tesco 5p off. The most expensive was 147.9

Thanks guys for getting back to me journey is 11.5 miles each way it's urban driving ,
Mpg says 43 on the counter .

I would have thought it was about right given the urban driving and relatively short individual journey length the official figures are pure well fiddled marketing fantasy and never achievable in real driving. Our Delta 2.0 multijet (165) does 42ish in similarly short but 50/50 rural/urban run and I reckon that's pretty good going

I did a 300 mile round trip a few weeks ago along the A14 and trip computer calculated 65mpg (cruise controll at 60 most the way) the most I had ever got since owning the car. I got nearly 600 miles out of that tank as its the most motorway driving I had done.

I usually get about 49mpg on my 14 mile (50 minute Birmingham city centre commute every day each way - the lowest I have had is about 47mpg.
Calculated to about 11ppm generally - given the price of diesel this is still pretty good and inline with my previous not so economical Diesels.
I'm still guilty of the odd weekend heavy foot on the B roads now and then so this can't help either.

I'm currently on 48 with mixed driving but mostly town recently.

Driving from Glasgow to Edinburgh it creeps up a bit.

I usually get about 600 miles to a full tank. That's on a 2 litre diesel.

Drove to Italy a few years ago from Glasgow and saw an indicated 58mpg.

Significant changes in temperature will change mpg too along with tyre pressures, make and model of tyre, whether your tracking is fine or not, driving style and whether or not your car is close to service time.

Back