Technical Brava 80 sx struggles to start in hot weather

Currently reading:
Technical Brava 80 sx struggles to start in hot weather

Rob Lewis

Hi all,

I've had my 1999 1.2 Brava for about a year now without any problems with it until about a month ago.

When trying to start for the 1st time it just turns over and doesn't even attempt to fire. On the 2nd try it splutters and dies and then usually starts and runs fine on the 3rd attempt. The strange thing to me is that this only happens when the weather is hot, when its cooler it always starts first time.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Rob

Try this,when you first turn the turn raidio of straight away and listen for the fuel pump (a buzzing sound coming from the back), if you can hear it, it should stop after about 20 seconds, then see if the car starts straight away.

Let me know how you get on.

fishpond,

Had a listen a couple of times and can't hear anything coming from the back of the car. Starting it today the 1st and 2nd attempts the engine just turned over for about 15 secs without even an attempt to fire then it spluttered into life on the 3rd try.

Could the pump be gone then?

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob, I'm having the same problem but I just listen to the pump then it starts first time, your problem is deffo fuel related, there is a what looks like a non return valve in the fuel line at the back of the bulk head, I'm thinking of trying to change this and will get back to you.
As a last resort then yes it could well be the pump, have you tried pressing the fuel cut out switch down by the passangers side foot well.

I haven't tried that yet, that'll be one for the morning..

Am i right in thinking the fuel pump can be accessed from the boot under the carpet? Just thinking if i strip everything off around it i'll beable to hear it easier because i'm not hearing anything at the moment.

Where abouts in the footwell is the fuel cut out switch? I really should invest in a haynes.

Cheers again

This morning i turned the ignition on and listened as hard as i could and can't hear anything pump wise.

On the plus side i waited about 30 seconds before turning her over and low and behold she fired into life first time, no spluttering.

Going to ask some people, if i come up with something i'll let you know.

fishpond,

Just spoke to my trusty father (he's a mechanic) and he suggested trying another key as simple as that. The key i was using was one that i'd had cloned from the other blue key i had as at that point i didn't have the red key.

Found the original blue key, put it in ignition waited for code light to go out turned the key, and hey presto fired first time no problem.

Going to try it over the next few days to see but it may be as simple a fix as getting another key cut.

Hope this helps you out

Rob

Might still be worth a try if you've got another key...

Back