Technical Brand new S - Dodgy Speakers AND service

Currently reading:
Technical Brand new S - Dodgy Speakers AND service

Just received my 63 plate 500s today and I said to the guy at the garage I can hear a crackling / fuzzing noise. He said it's the engine in these small cars.
I drove around and still not happy I drove back and the parts manager said it was because I have a Dualogic gearbox, it's the compressor or something.. Or maybe the Air Con :bang:
Then I asked for one more opinion and eventually found out I was right and that the sound was in deed coming from the speakers which is what I said in first place. Unbelievable they just reeled off anything that makes a noise in the car and made out it was normal. I hope this isn't the start of problems with the car or the service!
Other that this incident i'm happy with the car. Has anyone had a similar problem with a cracking sound coming from speakers, i'm assuming it's something to do with the wires in the back of the stereo. I have to put up with it until it's booked in for repair.

Looking on the bright side, you got it identified at your first visit and they are going to put it right. Plus you can still use your car in the meantime. If that is the only problem you suffer (and there is no reason why it shouldn't be) then you will have done pretty well.

There is a known issue with the wiring loom that affects some Abarth 500 cars equipped with the MTA/Competizione transmission. It can cause a buzzing/crackling noise to emanate from the tweeters. It can still happen even when the radio is switched off.

I don't know how similar the wiring looms are for the dualogic boxes but if you have the same symptoms as above then it could be relevant.

My 2008 1.2 Lounge with Dualogic and Interscope has been doing that for five years. It is a quiet fizzing that can only really be heard when at a stop, no radio and the clutch has disengaged. When driving, you can heard the fizzing stop when the clutch is engaged and then start again when it changes gear. Fiat evidently have no idea how to fix it.

The solution? Turn up the stereo to drown out the fizzing. Works for me!

Back