Technical brakes

Currently reading:
Technical brakes

cain17

my punto mk1 55s failed its m.o.t toda on its brakes.. they aren't ' efficiant enough' now... i was going to replace all the pads and drums and shoes. and do a full! overhaul.. but thought, how hard would it be to fit all the gt brakes to the car?? as these would be really efficiant for the car plus i would like to know my brakes are exceptional... so how hard is it to fit the discs n calipers in the front and is it opossible on the rear??

cheers
cain

Last edited:
my punto mk1 55s failed its m.o.t toda on its brakes.. they aren't ' efficiant enough' now... i was going to replace all the pads and drums and shoes. and do a full! overhaul.. but thought, how hard would it be to fit all the gt brakes to the car?? as these would be really efficiant for the car plus i would like to know my brakes are exceptional... so how hard is it to fit the discs n calipers in the front and is it opossible on the rear??

cheers
cain

Hi, why do you think you need to upgrade your brakes/discs ? Is your motor modded at all? When were your brakes last serviced and what was done to them? Does it give you any more info on the notes of the fail certificate as to what is not specifically 'efficient' ?

Front GT brakes, not really a problem, just a caliper, pads and disc jobby. As for the rears, VERY expensive to do properly. My conversion is on hold pending funds. Can be done for £100 if you just swap the rear beam and are not fussy, but I'm fussy, and want all the calipers overhauled, new brake lines, pads, discs etc...

Hi, why do you think you need to upgrade your brakes/discs ? Is your motor modded at all? When were your brakes last serviced and what was done to them? Does it give you any more info on the notes of the fail certificate as to what is not specifically 'efficient' ?

well the front left is stronger than the front right, and the rear left just wont pick up any reading at all, now me and m dad spent last week overhauling the front calipers with new seal kits, and the rear has new shoes... i was just thinking, in the long run i was planning on modifying the motor, and if i changed the brakes now, then it could well save me time and money in the future... if you get me haha..

Last edited:
The GT callipers would give the brakes longer life, but the cost of them probably wouldn't be saved over the life of the car! And I believe the pads/disks cost a bit more than standard.

Hang on a minute, that sounds like a hydraulic problem, not caliper/disc/pads/shoes/drums. The system is diagonally split, so a common weakness on the front right and rear left would strongly suggest hydraulic failure.

As for what it could be, if there are no visible signs of leakage, then I would suspect master cylinder seal failure, propotioning valve failure or a blockage somewhere.

Hang on a minute, that sounds like a hydraulic problem, not caliper/disc/pads/shoes/drums. The system is diagonally split, so a common weakness on the front right and rear left would strongly suggest hydraulic failure.

As for what it could be, if there are no visible signs of leakage, then I would suspect master cylinder seal failure, propotioning valve failure or a blockage somewhere.

now that there sound like the problem... as the front right caliper did seem wet when it was up on the hoist... ill check it out, thanks (y)

now that there sound like the problem... as the front right caliper did seem wet when it was up on the hoist... ill check it out, thanks (y)

Brake fluid leaking means the seals are not seated properly or ar ripped or the piston/cylinder are corroded.

There are lots of good used punto calipers in the breakers, make sure the piston is free and fit it. Dont touch any which look like the seals are iffy.

While you are at it get the other one and junk the ones you've just overhauled.

New pads and discs would be a good idea - about £50 for the front axle.

If there is fluid coming from the caliper, then perhaps the new seals you put in are not sitting right, or the fluid hose got damaged on reassembly. Can you get someone to pump the brakes hard whilst someone else looks for escaping fluid at the caliper? Has the brake fluid reservoir level dropped significantly recently.

It might be the hose, but why mess about with the seals? In any case they will be stuffed by now. At least I wouldnt trust my life on them.

Brake systems never leak slightly. It should have been obvious straight away so fit some good calipers and perhaps new hoses and junk the pads if contaminated with fluid.

If unsure what to do leave it to the professionals.

ill take everything into account and try it all tomorrow morning.. ill post my results for advice if i dont come across a probllem going by what you lot said... but as for now... thanks for the help guys much apprieciated!!

cain(y)

Just to throw my opinion in as well, if your doing the rear drums get new cylinders as on every one ive had to do ive ended up replacing at least one.

brakes.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

Every thing you need to upgrade.

PM if you interested.

Back