Technical Brake pedal push back - sticky brakes

Currently reading:
Technical Brake pedal push back - sticky brakes

jetty

Bit of an odd one - partner has been complaining about the brake pedal pushing back on her whilst braking. Tried to replicate it - couldn't. Thought maybe she had hit some ice/gravel and engaged ABS.

Anyway, replaced discs and pads today as they were knackered. Went for a spin - all good until I lightly braked for a 90 degree bend.....10-15mph. The brake pedal violently pushed back and the the brakes started to grind.

Brakes don't lock on, but you can tell there is a small amount of pressure being applied. Probably more to the left hand side.

Now that I've experienced it, definitely isn't ABS. Completely stumped and don't have the time to investigate further, so it's going in later this week for a look over.

Any suggestions so I can arm myself before dropping it off and the garage ?

Cheers

P.S. hand brake can be pulled into armpit! That one started about 3-4 weeks ago - unsure if connected.

Hi, how old is the car, when you were braking was that in a straight line or going round the bend?
Long hand brake travel is usually auto adjusters not adjusting( I had this problem when replacing the drums/shoes to start with ), which also gives long brake pedal travel, get the garage to check all the braking components explaining the issue so that they may re create it before trying to identify whats wrong.
Is it possible the rear shoes have de laminated or other such failure causing the kicking? ask your partner if the hand brake and foot brake faults appeared together?

Last edited:
It's a 2008 with 85k ish on the clock.

Usually occurs on the straights and during light braking - but has also happened during heavy braking and corners.

Hand brake is a permanent problem - also went stiff the other day and couldn't even click it a notch (now back to being high). The kick back is intermittent - usually during the first few miles. Resets when the ignition has been switched off.

I noticed the brake pedal doesn't keep pressure and gradually drops as you apply pressure (with ignition off). Most cars I've played with keep pressure in the pedal when you pump it - is this a Fiat thing, or a possible cause......master cylinder ?

Last edited:
I noticed the brake pedal doesn't keep pressure and gradually drops as you apply pressure (with ignition off). Most cars I've played with keep pressure in the pedal when you pump it - is this a Fiat thing, or a possible cause......master cylinder ?

This indicates a serious fault; either a failed cylinder seal or a leak somewhere in the system. It would be an MOT fail and your car is not roadworthy.

At 10yrs/85k, a detailed inspection of the complete braking system (all wheels & drums off) would be prudent. Pay particular attention to the condition of the handbrake cable and its attachment brackets (they've been known to corrode away), and the self adjusting mechanism in the rear hubs. Check all flexible hoses for cracking, and replace any that are defective. Change the brake fluid.

I'd advise that the car not be driven again until this has been done.

Last edited:
Back