General Bouncing feeling when driving

Currently reading:
General Bouncing feeling when driving

Hi can anyone help. I have a 10 plate fiat 500 and have recently noticed that it feels bouncy as I'm driving along. it doesn't happen all the time. Ive only been driving on 30mph roads. Ive checked the tyre pressure (can anyone tell me what the pressure should be at so i know I've done it enough) but I'm still noticing it. Not sure if its something more serious. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

The 500 suspension system is pretty basic and uses many low cost components and poor quality factory-fitted shock absorbers. Coupled with the short wheelbase, the car has an unsophisticated ride that can be quite crashy and bouncy, especially on uneven road surfaces. Unless you can hear any knocking or metallic clanging there's probably nothing wrong with your car! Correct Tyre pressure varies depending on tyre size and load but I think 2.2 bar for fronts and 2.0 bar for rears is right for most tyre sizes fitted to 15 inch wheels.

A bouncy feeling at 30mph could mean a delaminating/ bulging tyre (most likely on the inside edge where you can't see it). If your car's been fitted with cheap Chinese tyres, these can be so far out of round as to cause this from new (ie no visible defects). The feeling will typically go away at speed as it just turns to vibration.

You can also experience this if the car's been sitting for a while (depending in the tyre only a day or two) and the tyres have developed flat spots. They'll return to normal after a km or two of driving.

So our sexy beautiful looking Italian works of art are fitted with rubbish suspension and Chinese tyres, I'm shocked!!!!

Lets take a step back for a second. Sexy? Nope. Italian? It's built in Poland. Rubbish suspension? Yup! Chinese tyres? Not from new, but people do fit crap tyres all the time.

Lets take a step back for a second. Sexy? Nope. Italian? It's built in Poland. Rubbish suspension? Yup! Chinese tyres? Not from new, but people do fit crap tyres all the time.
i personally will go for japanese tires next time, Toyo's to be precise.

Ahmett, how could you! You told me to buy Mich Exalto PE2. What's changed? Lol
yes i still have mine going strong after 40,000 kms. The thing is 195/50's are just too fat and heavy for the car and ruin the feel and fuel economy. I will go back to the 185/55's, and will go for less rolling resistance tires when these wear out. Toyo CF2's look a good deal at 280 euro for a set of 4, and the Euro rating of B for wet braking and C for Fuel Economy.

yes i still have mine going strong after 40,000 kms. The thing is 195/50's are just too fat and heavy for the car and ruin the feel and fuel economy. I will go back to the 185/55's, and will go for less rolling resistance tires when these wear out. Toyo CF2's look a good deal at 280 euro for a set of 4, and the Euro rating of B for wet braking and C for Fuel Economy.

It's that right foot that's the problem ; )
Do you think there is that much difference with 185/55?
Bear in mind that Eco Tyres have a softer 'feel' than performance tyres. What you gain might be lost in less steering feel / bite, you see what I mean?

It's that right foot that's the problem ; )
Do you think there is that much difference with 185/55?
Bear in mind that Eco Tyres have a softer 'feel' than performance tyres. What you gain might be lost in less steering feel / bite, you see what I mean?
i dont like the feel of fat tires at all, it also make the car slower. in a light car like the fiat 500 makes a big difference. fuel economy is at least 0.3l/100 km, maybe more with eco tires. Mind you, most tires are now eco tires due to different materials being used for the compound. I think it will be fine. Either case cant be worse than the Conti Premium Contact 2's = )

i dont like the feel of fat tires at all, it also make the car slower. in a light car like the fiat 500 makes a big difference. fuel economy is at least 0.3l/100 km, maybe more with eco tires. Mind you, most tires are now eco tires due to different materials being used for the compound. I think it will be fine. Either case cant be worse than the Conti Premium Contact 2's = )

What you say is right but I haven't honestly noticed worse economy on 195's.
I was wondering about if using 195 on a 6" rim was detrimental though.
It's within accepted limits for sure though. All the Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI owners went 195's on 6" rims back in the day.
Maxi? Any comment?

It's within accepted limits for sure though. All the Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI owners went 195's on 6" rims back in the day.
Maxi? Any comment?
yeah fuel economy much worse as is rolling resitance my car is an awful coaster now! ultimate grip is probably higher but the car seems never to be able to go fast enough to test the grip = )

Maxi? Any comment?

6" is fine. Our Subaru came standard with 205's and 6" wheels.

Maxi? Any comment?
its like people. car tires are also getting fatter in the modern world = )

Hi can anyone help. I have a 10 plate fiat 500 and have recently noticed that it feels bouncy as I'm driving along. it doesn't happen all the time. Ive only been driving on 30mph roads. Ive checked the tyre pressure (can anyone tell me what the pressure should be at so i know I've done it enough) but I'm still noticing it. Not sure if its something more serious. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance
If you're saying something has changed for the worse I would suspect maybe a failed shock absorber or as in previous post a bulging tyre. Either is bad news from a safety point of view but in particular a bulging tyre is serious.

You maybe able to spot a failed shock absorber due to leaking oil. A faulty tyre can be found by running your hands around them.

Back