art ahead of the filthy lucre?

Currently reading:
art ahead of the filthy lucre?

yet another "artist" bleating about how money has lessened his chosen profession :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8477675.stm

ok, fella, put your fat bank balance where your foot was, and start doing all your concerts for free, and albums, and merchandise, after all , you aren't into the money are you? maybe get your showbiz chums to join in.

admit it, you got into the business for the same reason all the others do:

money
fame
sex
drugs
money
sex

btw: radiohead are **** anyway

In Rainbows available for free download when it was first released...

However I see you point. I am sure they all enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their life. I would tend to ignore anyone who moans about money, when they clearly have enough.

I think Radiohead realised it was sh!te and they'd have to practically give it away.

They're one of those bands that people tend to like because "influencial" DJs (mainly tards on Radio 1) say you should.

"I sense, and many artists sense, that it's become dominated by money, and the need to make more money," he said.

At what point was that not clear to you?

I find that quite weird, I mean what if jobs didn't offer monetary rewards and it was based on the feeling of satisfaction you got from doing good work?

There is nothing wrong with being motivated by money, it just shouldn't be the be all and end all.

Mmm, do the words "Art for art's sake, money for God's sake" mean anything? There was a time when even the top bands of the day only used to perform in venues that had 2-2,500 seats. The likes of Roxy Music, ELO, Status Quo and other similar bands used to perform at the Free Trade Hall or Ardwick Apollo. Only rarely, Emerson Lake and Palmer at the Empire Pool Wembley and Led Zeppelin at Knebworth were the facilities available to cater for really large numbers of fans.

Nowadays there is the M.E.N. Arena in Manchester, City of Manchester Stadium and Lancashire Cricket Club, all in the same town. There's the N.E.C. in Brum, the O2 or Wembley Arena. I think there is also a big venue in Sheffield and the S.E.C.C. in Glasgow, and I'm sure many more.

2 nights at the M.E.N. means you can get as many bums on seats as you could with an entire UK tour.

Concert tours used to hemmorage money and were only done to promote a new album. The situation seems to have been reversed with more money sometimes being made at gigs, especially with programmes at £15 plus, CDs and Tee-shirts all being sold at concerts than are made from recordings, especially with downloads.

I once met a Gallery owner in Manchester a long time ago who I asked for his opinion of a local artist called Harold Riley. His reply was that Riley was rubbish. I'm no art critic, but his answer surprised me, especially as he was the only artist to paint all (at the time) the last 3 Popes. Paul VI, John Paul and John Paul II. I mentioned this to someone I knew who worked at Manchester Art Gallery. "Ah, he said, that'll be because a) Riley is still alive, and b) he doesn't need galleries to sell his paintings because he worked exclusively on commission.

Back