General Are my 17's too heavy? help plz.

Currently reading:
General Are my 17's too heavy? help plz.

Hello peeps.

I've just been reading threads about heavy 17's recking drive shafts and gearboxes in the 1.2's.

I've got a 1.3mjet and i freaked out a little after reading this, so went out and weighed one of my 17's, it weighed in at 18.5kg :eek:(with the tyre still fitted), is that bad? It seems bloody heavy to me anyway.

Here are the overweight wheels:

001.JPG

002.JPG

The wheels are made by a company called ACE, they were fitted by the previous owner and they are cheap sh*t, their 17x7j and a 40ET.

Do you think i should change them for light weight ones? I was thinking pro race 1.2's in white or Rota Grids in white.

My standard T-Jet alloys (sporting ones) weighed 11kg, and my 205/45 Tyres weighed 8kg, so that brings the total to 19kg. So you're pretty much near standard.

Your 1.3MJet will be more torquey due to it being a diesel so it should be alright, what wheel/tyre combo did it come with as standard?

Lightweight wheels will benefit you though, in terms of acceleration and MPG. I think black pro race would suit yours nicely being silver, white suits coloured cars like red better but it's up to you (y)

Thats good to hear that there not that heavy, would still like some lightweight ones though, bet it would handle so much better, what wheels have you got?

I was toying with white or black, black would look good, pity i cant use photoshop to save my life, would be interesting to see both black and white on my car.

mate if you could do that for me that would be awesome (y) I'll check out ur thread now.

I do really like rota grids, slightly lighter than pro races too :D

Im not sure what it came with from the factory, id guess 15's.

Did you notice any difference when you swapped from t-jets to rota alloys? handling or mpg?

Just checked out your thread, very :cool: car mate, those rotas set it off very nicely.

The silver gp in your thread with the multispokes, what wheels are they? Looks really nice on it (its fookin low aswell).

... weighed one of my 17's, it weighed in at 18.5kg :eek:(with the tyre still fitted), is that bad? It seems bloody heavy to me ...

What tyres are you on? – brands can vary by 1kgs (or so).

Although 8kgs for 205/45R17 seems (to me) on the low side - what model would that be?

The silver punto in my thread is Danny's, here's the link to his thread:
https://www.fiatforum.com/members-motors/200299-my-1-2-gp-active.html

I got the 8kg because I just weighed an Avon 205/45/R17 tyre that I have downstairs, it was on my car before I put all the Toyo Proxes on, it probably has 6mm of tread so won't weigh much more than 8kg when new. I don't have any other tyres to weigh to compare at the minute.

The handling is nice on my rotas, and I have noticed an increase in MPG as well, I'm happy :)

The grids do look quite nice, but they are expensive, and not sure if you can get them in the right offset for the GP, most I have seen are ET0-ET20

:eek: you stole my wheels David lol and my brake calipers lol im expecting mine back from the paint shop this week in black though. And i have also noticed a big difference in the feel of the car going from the lightweight alloys back to the heavy standard ones for a week or two (n)

A big thank you for the photo shopping (y) a big help to see what they look like rather than try to imagine it
i do like the white, but when i saw the black :D I think the black wheels will be better, as i want to get a de-badged front grill, arbarth front and rear lights and have just ordered team heko wind deflectors.

Gymjunkie, would you be able to weigh your pro races with tyres on when you get them back please? Also as your having them sprayed black, i found a company that do black wheel nuts/bolts and black locking nuts/bolts too, if you google search: taper pro, it should bring up their website, not 100% sure they fit our gp's, but worth a look.

Ive got khumo's all round, 215/45/17R. Front and rears have around 7-8mm, their only 2-3 months old.

Last edited:
:eek: you stole my wheels David lol and my brake calipers lol im expecting mine back from the paint shop this week in black though. And i have also noticed a big difference in the feel of the car going from the lightweight alloys back to the heavy standard ones for a week or two (n)

You were the first one that sprung to mind when I thought of cars with white pro race :p

A big thank you for the photo shopping (y) a big help to see what they look like rather than try to imagine it
i do like the white, but when i saw the black :D I think the black wheels will be better, as i want to get a de-badged front grill, arbarth front and rear lights and have just ordered team heko wind deflectors.

Gymjunkie, would you be able to weigh your pro races with tyres on when you get them back please? Also as your having them sprayed black, i found a company that do black wheel nuts/bolts and black locking nuts/bolts too, if you google search: taper pro, it should bring up their website, not 100% sure they fit our gp's, but worth a look.

Ive got khumo's all round, 215/45/17R. Front and rears have around 7-8mm, their only 2-3 months old.

Yeah i will try and remember to weigh them when i decide what tyres im going to get as im on a bit of a budget now.

Back