Tuning Anyone running 500/650 at elevation???

Currently reading:
Tuning Anyone running 500/650 at elevation???

jtrashy

I now live at 6000'(2000m).
It ran great at sea level, not so much up here.
Anyone at elevation that can tell me their setup with main/idle jets and timing?
Thanks

I'm at 6,000+ feet and haven't re-jetted my carb in my 500F with a 126 650cc engine. It runs fine.

After messing around with the jets in my 850 with little noticeable difference in routine driving, I haven't bothered with my 500 (yet). I do need to keep my idle adjustment screw open pretty far, so I guess that's evidence that re-jetting might make a difference.

I'll be very interested in what you learn.

I'm at 6,000+ feet and haven't re-jetted my carb in my 500F with a 126 650cc engine. It runs fine.

After messing around with the jets in my 850 with little noticeable difference in routine driving, I haven't bothered with my 500 (yet). I do need to keep my idle adjustment screw open pretty far, so I guess that's evidence that re-jetting might make a difference.

I'll be very interested in what you learn.
Did you keep the timing the same also? Are your running 28’ at 3000 rpm?

Did you keep the timing the same also? Are your running 28’ at 3000 rpm?
Justin; I have spoken to my "Weber" man again and he has suggested that you knock the timing back a little bit---try 8 BTDC at idle and 25 BTDC at 3,000rpm.

I just checked, and I'm afraid I don't have any notes on where I set the timing. Anyway, given the worn condition of the engine and carb, setting timing is not an exercise in precision for me.

Idling pretty good now. I backed out the idle adjustment all the way out and set timing to 8/25 like Hobbler suggested above. Combo of both did the trick.
My 650 feels like a 500 now, not sure how much of that is lost HP from elevation. It skips a beat here and there so I’ll have to figure that out.

I went back and looked at my notes from a few years ago about re-jetting my 850. Here is a helpful guide I found at the time:
https://lcengineering.com/tuning-weber-carbs-for-high-altitude/

After some experimentation, I did end up using idle and main jets that are a couple of sizes smaller than the factory jets. I did not find any improvement from increasing the size of the air bleed jets, so I reverted back to normal.

(All of this was done using ear and butt meters. No actual measurements involved.)

Back