Any Ubuntu user upgrade to 11.04?

Currently reading:
Any Ubuntu user upgrade to 11.04?

I dont have a clue but here's what happened. Initially I had my master screen on the left (slave on right), desktop spanning both. But my new setup is HDMI (slave) and VGA (master). I didnt want VGA as my normal working screen so put HDMI on the left, VGA on the right and swapped the master to the right.

The mouse now pops to the left and goes to the slave screen as it should. But my Paintshop Pro was still appearing on the master with the tool bars off to the right where I could now not get to.

I had to go back to the old screen arrangement (master on left) minimise all of PSP and then go back to my new arrangement. PSP is then worked fine in the new desktop. Rebooting was no help as PSP remembers how it was last used.

I dont have a clue but here's what happened. Initially I had my master screen on the left (slave on right), desktop spanning both. But my new setup is HDMI (slave) and VGA (master). I didnt want VGA as my normal working screen so put HDMI on the left, VGA on the right and swapped the master to the right.

The mouse now pops to the left and goes to the slave screen as it should. But my Paintshop Pro was still appearing on the master with the tool bars off to the right where I could now not get to.

I had to go back to the old screen arrangement (master on left) minimise all of PSP and then go back to my new arrangement. PSP is then worked fine in the new desktop. Rebooting was no help as PSP remembers how it was last used.

that just gave me a headache trying to understand that :eek: but from what i can make out its a bug in PSP

I guess so. Proper PIA it was.

Ubuntu comes with a more than decent photo editor thrown in so I could use that. Ubuntu is good though still not quite slick enough. TBH I still prefer XP. Some neater default fonts would help a lot. I guess its copyright issues (again).

I guess so. Proper PIA it was.

Ubuntu comes with a more than decent photo editor thrown in so I could use that. Ubuntu is good though still not quite slick enough. TBH I still prefer XP. Some neater default fonts would help a lot. I guess its copyright issues (again).

tried GIMP?

I use ubuntu more or less every day but only from the live CD, haven't got the patience to fully learn a new OS and I can't do everything quickly and easily from it that I need to do on a day to day basis and then they changed the interface in 11.04, I just CBA :eek:

Sticking with XP and windows 7 for a while!

If you're using it every day get and install it, it'll run loads quicker than from CD. Maybe install it inside VirtualBox.

When you login select Ubuntu Classic at the bottom for the previous interface :)

If you're using it every day get and install it, it'll run loads quicker than from CD. Maybe install it inside VirtualBox.

When you login select Ubuntu Classic at the bottom for the previous interface :)

I tend to use it on PC's that I am fixing or getting data from or to prep HD's for other systems etc. or If I need to get a proxy up and running sharpish or to test hardware that has suddenly stopped working in windows (USB :mad: )

It's not practical for me to put it on my main workstation as I need to use specific windows only apps. As for at home I have a 10.4 box but dont really use it as it's in the workshop for net access and novelty.

Ah reet, it is handy as a toolbox too :)

Windows being a PITA and not letting you copy/move/delete files because of permissions? Mount the partition under Linux and do it there instead ;) :devil:

Ah reet, it is handy as a toolbox too :)

Windows being a PITA and not letting you copy/move/delete files because of permissions? Mount the partition under Linux and do it there instead ;) :devil:

Windows always lets me copy / move / delete files - I simply take ownership of the file system in question..... however sometimes I like to check over a hard drive under linux so windows doesn't spew it's crappy files thumbs.dll etc etc all over it, sometimes the files I need are on a HD that's got RHEL or Ubuntu on it as the main OS occasionaly I need to manage the partitions which I simply don't trust windows to do - windows has no chance of doing anything other than a format when you're not looking :bang:

I've just installed it on my main Desktop PC:-

Core i5 @ 4.2ghz
8Gb DDR3 RAM
ATI HD 3875Xt

Nothing works "out of the bag". The desktop "freezes" although the mouse still moves and nothing responds for about 60secs and then it all happens at once lol.

I have fixed it but only by going to tty1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1) to connect to tty1 and running:-

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

This will update all the packages to the latest (assuming you have internet access working).

It was then 'stable' enough to "install additional drivers" from the gui. This allows you to enable the Ati FGLRX / nvidia proprietary drivers.

Reboot and viola I'm able to use it. However Unity is still dodgey but I don't really care it sucks anyway.

Now I've got stuff running! :-

ubuntu11_04.png

Last edited:
On my E8500 (Core2 Duo 3.16ghz I think) with a Radeon HD3650, even with the ATI drivers from their site it still seems a bit juddery minimising/maximising windows, etc compared to Windows 7... even an Ubuntu VM in VirtualBox with the guest additions installed runs smoother than the native version on the same machine :confused:

Yeah, a HD3650 is a bit poop nowadays, it was a budget card a few years back, I just wanted the cheapest at the time with two digital outputs.

Finally made the switch to Ubuntu (y)

well when i switch i mean Dual-Boot..

I'm initially only running it on my netbook which i use regularly while i get used to the software..

I will then move it onto my Desktop. So far been running it for 3days without a problem, it took a while to find my LAN, but restarted and loaded Windows7 and connected to the LAN then went back onto Ubuntu.. Connected fine that time (y)

Running it on a;
PackardBell dotSE with 1gb DDR3, IntelAtom Dual Core.

Back