Any other good colour restorer apart from T-cut?

Currently reading:
Any other good colour restorer apart from T-cut?

Just got my colour coded bumpers :slayer:
however on the right they seem to appear to have faded quite abit. I've tryed this "Universal colour restorer" cheap ass stuff but that didn't really have any affect.
Anything more.. industrial like? Thanks

Just got my colour coded bumpers :slayer:
however on the right they seem to appear to have faded quite abit. I've tryed this "Universal colour restorer" cheap ass stuff but that didn't really have any affect.
Anything more.. industrial like? Thanks

what colour are you working on and is it metalic?

im sure I used a similar product from autoglym, remember it working well....

Right, three options.

Cheap - £4.99 Paint Restorer by AutoGlym.

Three Step - £8.49 each by Meguiars, Stage 1, 2 and 3, paint cleaner (slightly abrasive like T-cut), wax etc.

Proper cutting compound, works a treat on red. G3 cutting compound finished off with G10 finesse, diluted with water, about £11.49, can be bought online. Proper trade product cannot be found in Halfords, so buy online. G3 is by company 3m.

If your bumpers are plastic try Back For Good - it has worked brilliantly on my faded black trim and it says it works on any colour. Its simple to put on too. You can buy it online at spautopia.co.uk. I got the smallest bottle and it did all my trim.(y)

I used red T-cut the other day and it come out perfect got rid of all the tar on the roof and all the crap off the bonnet next thing i will do though is use some autoglym showroom shine as this really makes your car gleam

I appreciate all your responses guys!

I think I'm going to try red T-cut and if that doesn't work go for the G3
It's weird though, because it's plastic that i'm rubbing, the paint isn't coming off, as in the layers.
I think I may have to spray over it very lightly with my CC areosol.

No... you're onto a hiding to nothing.

The Swift Red (?) is a 2-pack paint. It has a red layer and then a clear-coat over the top of it.

When the colour fades (and red is notoriously bad for fading, hence the switch to a 2-pack.. the clear-coat filters out some of the UV ight that causes fading) you can't use normal colour restorative polishes, because they work by removing the faded (oxidised) paint and exposing fresh paint underneath.

With a clear-coat, you are abrading the clear coat, not the colour coat.

If you use T-cut on the bumper, you would expect to see "red" paint coming off on the cloth but where you have a clear coat, you won't see the paint colour on the cloth.

There's no solution to faded paint under a clear-coat except to remove the clear-coat altogether or re-spray it.

The "colour restoring" polishes are glorified "mild T-cut", with some coloured fillers. These fill the surface scratches in the colour coat or the clear coat and give a temporary appearance that the colour is richer than before. But to permanently fix faded paint, you need to get at the paint and remove it.

Ralf S.

Back