General Annoying Whistling Noise?

Currently reading:
General Annoying Whistling Noise?

Picked up my 1.2 lounge last week (Black, tinted rear, Interscope, electric roof & go-faster chequered stripe) Very pleased with it so far but getting a whistling sound while doing over 60 while the air-con is open (or not re-circulating) It seems to be coming from behind the dash rather than a particular air vent. Is this normal? It's really loud and increases with speed. Any solutions other than turning the Interscope up? TIA.

It could be the auto ABS system checking its self. Its right behind the dash in the 500 so you will hear it. All the 500's i drove made the same sound.

What was the link with the air-con? It sounds a bit like the fan might not be properly mounted (hence air pressure leak).

Last edited:
What was the link with the air-con? It sounds a bit like the fan might not be properly mounted (hence air pressure leak).

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. Can the OP confirm that when Fresh Air is off ( in circulatory position) the noise is no longer present. If it's not the fan housing seal then perhaps a piece of air ducting might be a loose fit.

Yes, when the fresh air is off, the noise stops - turn the fresh air back on and it comes back on again. The whistling sounds like an old kettle on the hob, increasing in volume as the speed increases. A trip back to the dealer maybe??

Picked up my 1.2 lounge last week (Black, tinted rear, Interscope, electric roof & go-faster chequered stripe) Very pleased with it so far but getting a whistling sound while doing over 60 while the air-con is open (or not re-circulating) It seems to be coming from behind the dash rather than a particular air vent. Is this normal? It's really loud and increases with speed. Any solutions other than turning the Interscope up? TIA.

If the whistling is behind the dash, it must be due to faulty anti lock braking system. You need check on that to make sure.

I had a similar problem with a 2016 1.2 lounge. Doing over 50 we experienced wind noise, which disappeared when the recirculation button was turned to close. I changed the cabin filter and looked for leaks in the air system but the noise didn't stop. I then looked at the boot and noticed that the air extraction vent, located at the back of the boot and below the rear door lock, was exposed. There is a pad on the underside of the boot carpet that seals the vent when firmly pressed and clipped under the trim. A quick test over 50mph showed this worked and the system is silent.

Back