General Annoying SQUEAK...!!!!!

Currently reading:
General Annoying SQUEAK...!!!!!

Punto669

Hello,

My 1.4 3dr 2006 GP with 86k miles on the clock developed an annoying random squeaking sound a while ago which is really annoying me on the 2-3 days a week I use the car.

I am fairly sure it is somewhere on the exterior despite being still audible at a lesser intensity with all the windows up.

I notice it most when driving in a straight line - that's not to say it isn't happening all the time.
It occurs on nice flat roads as well as not so nice roads.
It doesn't occur going over all bumps - earlier I felt three small bumps and 3 squeaks then nothing for the next 2 bumps.
Same with speed bumps; it varies going over speedbumps - there is usually a squeak at some or multiple points of the 'going-over-a-speedbump' experience but it seems to be random.
There doesn't seem to be any relationship with speed that I have noticed - I don't hear it on the motorway but that is probably due to road noise.

I do have the occasional knock on the front left and clunking on lock with a passenger in the vehicle - that'll be the top mount which I'm trying to ignore for as long as possible.

I have checked the vertical links which seemed fine at the time without any play - if I remember correctly the one on the left was nice & shiny so possibly replaced before I bought the car.
I haven't found any mouse (or other animal) droppings in the car yet.

Ideas & tips for locating my squeak welcome 😀

Thanks,

Hi again 🙂

Just to rule it out / change your perception..

Lay the seat back down..
2 of my 4 x 199 punto have squeaked at the locks for the seat back 😕.

Of course a rear end squeak should now sound louder 🤔

Do let us know what you discover.
OK so yesterday I lay the back seat down and the annoying squeak was still there as before but it sounded a bit louder. So maybe it is coming from somewhere inside the car.

Now this morning I had the rear seat locked back up into position and the annoying squeak was only happening about 20% of the time compared to yesterday - so much less. But there was a new sound also but just occasionally - sounded metallic - like someone rubbing a small file on a nail :unsure:

How did you resolve your seat lock noise issue?

If its louder with the seat down

It's unlikely to be the seat latches..

Empty out spare wheel and tools

Drop seat and drive

Possibly exhaust clouting bodywork.. Put a cable tie around the rubber mount.. 😉 that will control age related slackness
lol,.. I should have said the boot is empty - spare wheel, tools & carpet/noise dampening taken out. Just few cloths & newspapers (to catch water leak) lying in wheel well.
It was my MOT trip yesterday which it passed with no advisories.

I'll prop it up and give the exhaust a good rattle later. But from my experience it definitely isn't the sound an exhaust (or other weighty component) would make when making contact with the chassis/body. A small 'wearing-out' metal fitting rubbing on another/its mounting point much more likely.
I'll try recording it... (y)

Back