Technical Airbag Warning Light

Currently reading:
Technical Airbag Warning Light

so is it possible for me to do this?

yes
cant remember where the box is on a mk1 mind but if all wiring intact, disconnect battery wait 15 minutes then swap the controllers over
look on ebay possibly for a cheap unfired ecu or a local breaker
i seem to remember most mk1 puntos didnt have an airbag so you could always put the appropriate steering wheel on and discard the clock spring beneath it

hmm total novice here, that last bit is like chinese to me, any chance you could explain a bit more?

i have a haynes manual i will find location of that. if i pass this MOT anyway i will have a year to work out how to do this

be great not to have that light on
whats the iirc?

sorry not mechanical

any chance of a walkthrough?

costs an arm and a leg to get it done, huge labour cost. car is worth about £300. one more year then..scrapheap. bloody stupid

i just want to turn the warning light off, cos thats what will fail me in post april 2012 *from how i interpret the new rules

Last edited:
would i be correct in saying that th MK1 Punto only has one airbag (drivers)

just take the speedo cluster out and unclip the bulb
its easier with the steering wheel off i would imagine and is your opportunity to take off the airbag equipped steering wheel and clockspring and replace with a non airbag one
of course with the airbag light removed you could argue that it was an uprated steering wheel fitted and never had the squidge bag fitted
as said its quite likely at this age it would'nt fire in an accident anyway

Back