Technical advice please

Currently reading:
Technical advice please

quadder1

hi everyone, just joined, im a converted vauxhall driver got myself a 20v turbo plus 2000 in the year. im lookin for some standard springs for it. Some fool has lowered it so much its a bit impractical and breaks ur back on bumps and potholes etc. what does the standard car handle like?
Also i would like to replace the front lip on the car as it has obviously taken a bit of a beatin over the years. any advice or comments about the car would be interesting.
brett:)

Lovely model, the plus Brett, you must be pleased.

There is someone on another forum (fccuk) who would be your best bet for used standard springs (Carlt).

Bilstein shocks and eibach springs (35mm lower) seem to be the favoured ride. You may already have eibachs on the car as they are popular - Novitec springs will lower you by up to 40mm and unless the rest of the suspension has been uprated will be very hard and the ride will be as you described. It may be fitted with coilovers - expensive. Did the old owner give you any indication as to whats been done or any bills that may give you a clue?

Uprated springs are anything over £100 - the Bilstein shocks £350-400. You may find that simply uprating the shocks (if its on standard shocks) and the top mounts will improve your ride considerably, as would a strut brace if its not already fitted.

Last edited:
cheers

hi mark, thanks 4 advice ill try and get in touch with carlt and c what he reckons. the previous owner only had it for 8 months and he doesnt know what springs or shocks are on the car, definatley not standard. its frustrating having all that go and not being able to back it up on the corners, exactly the opposite to my old calibra. oh and strut brace is firmly in place (is this standard for plus?) ta

Yeah they arent renowned for there cornering abilities - you will sacrifice your high speed cornering for ride comfort in my opinion.

By the way, someone on there has standard 20vt springs, free for collection - might be worth a look.

thanks ill check it out now. in my experience unless set up properly just banging on some hard springs can make the car worse than standard, i learnt that the hard way with my old calibra turbo. cheers 4 help

Back