Technical accelerator very slow to respond from idle

Currently reading:
Technical accelerator very slow to respond from idle

nmcd241263

My daughter has just bought a 1.6 multipla with one issue. It starts on the button no problem and ticks over at around 600 rpm but I can put my foot on the accelerator flat to the floor and nothing happens. If I leave it there it eventually starts to rev and if I hold it at 1000rpm it revs quite freely above that. As soon as I take my foot off again and the revs drop below 1000 rpm it goes through the same motions of reaching 1000 rpm.

There are no strange noises, the engine is smooth, no misfiring and no engine light comes on.

Any thoughts of what it could be?

Cheers nick

As a starting point
If you have access to a laptop and a ELM327 or KKL cable you can download the mutliecuscan software,
I'd use this to look at the throttle possition reading to make sure the possition reading increases smoothly as you slowly put your foot on the accelorator , just to make sure you've not got either a dead Pot in the throttle body or a bad connection to the throttle body.
You can also check the intake air temperature sensor Lambda and several others that'll cause problems with running.

Check the notorious connector in the area of the passenger footwell, follow the cable from the top of the throttle potentiometer (above the throttle pedal). Two people are best for this, one pulling and one noting which cable moves.
This goes behind the centre console and eventually ends up in a white connector block.

Try cleaning this first before you do anything as a large proportion of throttle issues are down to this.

Plenty of threads on this forum, search should bring up further information.

Check the notorious connector in the area of the passenger footwell, follow the cable from the top of the throttle potentiometer (above the throttle pedal). Two people are best for this, one pulling and one noting which cable moves.
This goes behind the centre console and eventually ends up in a white connector block.

Try cleaning this first before you do anything as a large proportion of throttle issues are down to this.

Plenty of threads on this forum, search should bring up further information.

Isn't that for the Diesel's only ???
I thought all the 1.6's had a cable actuated throttle body with the Pot built into the throttle body .??.... our 1.6 has no white connector ..unless some ones already gotten rid of it before we bought the car.

Last edited:
Back