Technical ABS and Alarms

Currently reading:
Technical ABS and Alarms

ryan_dobson

WHY DO I LOVE THEM SO?
Hello,

I've just bought another Sei (thats 3 now!:eek: ) and it has ABS and an alarm with remote central locking.

Is is possible to change this on to one of my other Sei's?:confused:

It's a slippery slope! ;)

I thought it was just me that couldn't stop buying centos:eek:

ABS isn't an easy or cheap retro fit.

Remote central locking, easy as, kit off fleabay bout £18ish, 2 cups of tea, 1 whilst reading the instructions, other whilst fitting.(y)

The central locking kits arent too expensive to purchase and a dead easyjob to fit so would probably be easier to buy new than to put on other car.

As for the ABS it would be possible, but wouldnt be an easy job, if on 13'' i would assume you would have to upgrade the wheels in order to get a brake disc system on the rear however dont qoute me on that. No doubt someone can comment if that is correct or not.

The ABS system has been said in the past that it has been a bit of a hinderence on the sei, especially on location of the bits when wanting to fit a strut brace however can be remedied.

I seem to remember some posts on here saying the abs wasnt particularly as impressive as hoped as well however i am only going from memory and may be wrong, but again someone will comment on that as well

I had ABS on my Sei, note the past tense, it was awful leading to lack of control & increased stopping distances & after upgrading the brakes it was just a nightmare.

Thankyou for advice...... I think I will be leaving the ABS on the car and not transferring it.

The alarm/remote central locking however is a CAT1 Thatcham Approved and I was wondering if it was easy do replace as I wanted one put on the girlfriends Sei.

This new Sei isn't going to be going on the road, it is basically a doner car for the other 2. That way we get the best bits on both cars.:)

I think if I buy any more Sei's my girlfriend is going to kill me.:eek:

But surely one more couldn't hurt!!!:devil: :devil: :devil:

This new Sei isn't going to be going on the road, it is basically a doner car for the other 2. That way we get the best bits on both cars.:)

whats up with this new one? seems a bit of a waste of a car when the other two seem to be running well at the minute.

This one has no front end.

The first one (Sporting) was bought for the girlfriend. She loved it but wanted the Abarth alloys, skirts and spoiler. So she looked for a doner car....

Thats when the second one arrived (Abarth). We were sold it as a dead car, the guy we bought it off said the engine was knackered. After a bit of investigating we found that the head gasket was the wrong way round and it now runs sweet as a nut!! So I decided I was going to keep it for myself.:D

That left us with a problem. She still wanted Abarth alloys, skirts and spoiler. Hence the latest purchase!:bang: This one had the alloys (with brand new tyres on!!(y) ) the skirts and the spoiler (in the right colour!!). Therefore we will strip it for these parts plus the interior and a couple of spare parts!!:eek:

There is a reason for that, when upgrading brakes on an ABS equiped car it may mean that the ECU needs an ABS remap, read on it half way down this page expains all......

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_abs_bigbrakekits.shtml

The problem I had isn't what that page gave, using the stock Sei brakes what I was getting was early lockups and lack of pressure control under heavy braking, in fact with the sensors disconnected I was consistently able to brake harder before locking up. Add into the mix that I got fade that disappeared when the ABS wheel sensors were disconnected & the days of ABS on my Sei were numbered.

Being honest I just connected up the ABS with the bigger brakes for a laugh. The results were interesting, first off I was getting very early triggering of the ABS with slow, progressively applied peddle input & when really nailing the brakes I was getting really bad judder causing the rear end of the car to become unstable.

Back