General A few thoughts please?

Currently reading:
General A few thoughts please?

Timotis

New to the forum so please excuse, what i'm sure has been asked 100 times already…

I'm looking to buy a second hand Fiat Ritmo (I'm from Australia, so Bravo elsewhere)
I would just like some thoughts on which one to go for

The two models I have in mind are either -
1. 2008 1.4T Sports (85,000km) $9900
2. 2008 1.4T Emotion (59,000km) $9950
Figures show power difference is minimal and i'm not fussed really by this. I know the Sports has many more options. Are these cars reliable? Is the 1.4T engine good? Any major electrical issues or faults/common problems I should look out for?

Or on the flip side, should i look at a 1.9lt diesel? is this a good engine?

I do around 50km a day freeway driving….?

Some opinions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Timotis

Mine was whining all gears, more noticable in 4th 5th and 6th.
Mainshaft bearings had failed.

Clutch and flywheel still like new when we took them out to check so they seem up to the job, just the gearbox thats not up to spec, same box as Corsa VXR apparently? Have exactly the same issues in them too.

Mine was whining all gears, more noticable in 4th 5th and 6th.
Mainshaft bearings had failed.

Clutch and flywheel still like new when we took them out to check so they seem up to the job, just the gearbox thats not up to spec, same box as Corsa VXR apparently? Have exactly the same issues in them too.

I was In discussion with the fiat/Alfa garage in Birmingham who deals with them all the time. He said that it's a Fiat designed gear box and is made by Vauxhall. They put them in a wide range of vehicles (corsa's, puntos, astra's, I think some Alfa's have them too) and it's the bearings in them that go or something. Fixable if caught early I believe.

Thanks for the thoughts, and informing me about the gear box issues.
Its it across the board, all gear boxes? or just lucky of the draw?

I bought a Ritmo (also Australian) at the beginning of the year. Mines a 1.4 T-Jet Emotion. So far nothing but love for it! Mine was a 2009 model, had 38,000km and was in perfect condition. Just get it mechanically inspected, take it for a good test drive. Only point to note is finding parts can be difficult, so keep in mind most things will need to be genuine OEM parts, which can be expensive, depends what the part is

It's the six speed m32. It's also used in the Astra VXR, with good bearings and the right oil it can handle well over 300bhp but with the bearings and water in it from stock they don't always last. Mine is now whining constantly in sixth, it's a '58 t-jet 150 that's done 40k miles.

Back