Technical 899 cinq no oil pressure

Currently reading:
Technical 899 cinq no oil pressure

JohnDodge

Hi guys! My 899 cinq was running great, except when my girlfriend called me and said that the lamp for oil pressure is staying on when engine is running. I told her to immediately kill the engine.
For some time now, when the car was sitting for more than 2 days with out driving, when starting in the morning the oil light stays on for more than 10 seconds and the engine has a rough sond. After that it goes out and the engine starts working more quet. Im running it with 15w40 Selenia with oil changes every 7-8000 km.
I suspected a worn out oil pump or crap oil filter draining the oil back to the sump, and was planing to change them on the next oil change.
But that didnt happen.
So fast forward, phone call, no oil light on, jump in second car, drive 200km...
1. I checked to see if cable to oil sensor is connected. It was.
2. Check light on dash. Light is on when cranking.
3. Unscrewed the oil sensor on the block and starter cranking, no oil was coming out.
4. Draind the oil, and removed the oil pan.
5. Removed the oil pump and gear. (I was hoping that is not a worn out sproket driving the pump or on the cranckshaft, it wasn't)
6. Dissasembled the oil pump and inspected (it was worn but not critically)
7. Assembled the oil pump back together and tested it by hand in a can of oil. The pump sucks ot fine.
8. Checked the drive gear and the connection to the pump, no visible ware.
9. Installed back the gear and pump just to see if when engine is rotated the pump turns, it did.
10. Installed everiting back togather and cranck.

Almost emidietly oil came out of the hole for the oil pressure sensor. Oil pressure was back.
The only broken thing that i could find was the chain tensioner for the timing chain.
I cant understand what the problem was, can u guys help?

Im planning to disasseble it again and scim the surface of the pump where the sprockets lie until they are in factory specs and absolutely no damage can be seen.

Is it possible for the sprocket driving the oil pump to move up and down do to wear and dissengage the drive to the pump itself?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys! My 899 cinq was running great, except when my girlfriend called me and said that the lamp for oil pressure is staying on when engine is running. I told her to immediately kill the engine.
For some time now, when the car was sitting for more than 2 days with out driving, when starting in the morning the oil light stays on for more than 10 seconds and the engine has a rough sond. After that it goes out and the engine starts working more quet. Im running it with 15w40 Selenia with oil changes every 7-8000 km.
I suspected a worn out oil pump or crap oil filter draining the oil back to the sump, and was planing to change them on the next oil change.
But that didnt happen.
So fast forward, phone call, no oil light on, jump in second car, drive 200km...
1. I checked to see if cable to oil sensor is connected. It was.
2. Check light on dash. Light is on when cranking.
3. Unscrewed the oil sensor on the block and starter cranking, no oil was coming out.
4. Draind the oil, and removed the oil pan.
5. Removed the oil pump and gear. (I was hoping that is not a worn out sproket driving the pump or on the cranckshaft, it wasn't)
6. Dissasembled the oil pump and inspected (it was worn but not critically)
7. Assembled the oil pump back together and tested it by hand in a can of oil. The pump sucks ot fine.
8. Checked the drive gear and the connection to the pump, no visible ware.
9. Installed back the gear and pump just to see if when engine is rotated the pump turns, it did.
10. Installed everiting back togather and cranck.

Almost emidietly oil came out of the hole for the oil pressure sensor. Oil pressure was back.
The only broken thing that i could find was the chain tensioner for the timing chain.
I cant understand what the problem was, can u guys help?

Im planning to disasseble it again and scim the surface of the pump where the sprockets lie until they are in factory specs and absolutely no damage can be seen.

Is it possible for the sprocket driving the oil pump to move up and down do to wear and dissengage the drive to the pump itself?

Thanks in advance!
I don't have specific 899 cinq knowledge and it sounds like you have covered most things, but you say it happens after standing for a couple of days so could indicate a sticking bypass valve in filter if fitted or in engine block or similar, or oil draining down over the time and a weak oil pump running dry not able to suck/draw oil to build up pressure. You could prime it with an oil can via the oil pressure switch to test that theory.
When you overhaul the oil pump I would have a close look at the drive mechanism in case a key way is damaged or any other wear signs.
Years ago we used to have V4 and V6 Essex engine Fords with no oil pressure and it was caused by the octagonal pencil drive shaft that transmitted the drive from the distributor gear down to the oil pump rounding off so spinning in drive and only occasionally giving oil pressure.
No crack or air leak in the suction pipe from the sump filter to the oil pump?

I don't have specific 899 cinq knowledge and it sounds like you have covered most things, but you say it happens after standing for a couple of days so could indicate a sticking bypass valve in filter if fitted or in engine block or similar, or oil draining down over the time and a weak oil pump running dry not able to suck/draw oil to build up pressure. You could prime it with an oil can via the oil pressure switch to test that theory.
When you overhaul the oil pump I would have a close look at the drive mechanism in case a key way is damaged or any other wear signs.
Years ago we used to have V4 and V6 Essex engine Fords with no oil pressure and it was caused by the octagonal pencil drive shaft that transmitted the drive from the distributor gear down to the oil pump rounding off so spinning in drive and only occasionally giving oil pressure.
No crack or air leak in the suction pipe from the sump filter to the oil pump?
i checked the bypass on the pump, it was moving free. Priming it is a good idea, but it will be kinda hard beacuse of location of the oil sensor, i will try doing it. The "Key" was ok, bouth on the pump end and on the shaft with the sproket. No ckracks. Only normal wear from the cogs rotating on the bottom of the oil pump, hardly noticeble groove with my nail.

Back