Technical 500D clutch judder

Currently reading:
Technical 500D clutch judder

Kalijo

I'm experiencing clutch judder, particularly on take-off, on my 1962 500D. Any advice would be much appreciated. To date, and in the last 50 miles, I've replaced the whole clutch twice! The spigot bearing has been replaced along with the 2 gearbox mounts. The rear engine mount seems fine. A new clutch cable has been fitted, and yes it is fixed to the side of the gearbox in the right place and there is an upward curve to the cable! Although I haven't had the flywheel 'faced' it has no marks/scores etc and does not appear to be heat damaged. It's polished and checks out flat with a straight edge.
Advice would be appreciated as it's spoiling the joy of the car!

Assuming the clutch cable is well lubricated and operates smoothly, the most likely cause to me is the clutch needs bedding in more as old style multiple spring clutches tend to be a lot fiercer until bedded in when compared against modern diaphragm type clutches.
I recently commented on Forum how as an apprentice in 1969 after fitting a clutch on some makes of car (Austin A30 springs to mind) we would have bets on how many times the customer would stall before getting off the forecourt.
As a test and only for a few moments, try pulling away up a steep hill but deliberately slipping the clutch like a learner, I am not suggesting you totally abuse the clutch, more a case of taking some of the rough edges off the lining material, to see if that makes a difference.
Incidentally is the clutch pedal fulcrum well oiled and smooth in operation as that can make it worse too.
I have just checked and I see most pattern clutchs for classic 500s are offered as diaphragm type so my comments may be invalid.
It may also be the clutch centre plate friction material is not to original makers specification, but difficult to prove.:)

Back