Technical 2018+ OBD code reading.

Currently reading:
Technical 2018+ OBD code reading.

PRZ3509

I recall talk that the 2018+ cars are now locked so that diagnostics can ONLY be done via Dealer-Level equipment.

Is this correct? I've tried my trusty generic code reader and it can't even connect. Is it just my reader?

Is there an alternative for these newest cars? I assume MultiECU is also useless now?

How do independent garages manage? What about the AA / RAC at breakdowns?

What's the point of this, it makes no sense that if once this car's 10 years old and worth maybe £800, no-one is going to take it to a Main Stealer for work. It's more likely to end up scrapped with a whiff of "never buy a fiat" following it...

Being used to always doing my own repairs, this has REALLY put me off long-term ownership.

Last edited:
If this is true, and it can be shown that it's been done to prevent those outside the dealer network from doing diagnostic work, it's an anti-competitive practice, and liable to punishment under competition law.

If this is true, and it can be shown that it's been done to prevent those outside the dealer network from doing diagnostic work, it's an anti-competitive practice, and liable to punishment under competition law.

I completely agree that it creates a monopoly for the dealers. But, never stopped Rover with TestBook, so it's not the first time.

I've been in and out of the trade for nigh on 30 years and my cars ONLY go to a garage for MOT, tyres and tracking (except the incident with the Rover 820 in 2001).

Not being able to do this myself is baaaaad...

I recall talk that the 2018+ cars are now locked so that diagnostics can ONLY be done via Dealer-Level equipment.

Is this correct? I've tried my trusty generic code reader and it can't even connect. Is it just my reader?

Is there an alternative for these newest cars? I assume MultiECU is also useless now?

How do independent garages manage? What about the AA / RAC at breakdowns?

What's the point of this, it makes no sense that if once this car's 10 years old and worth maybe £800, no-one is going to take it to a Main Stealer for work. It's more likely to end up scrapped with a whiff of "never but a fiat" following it...

Being used to always doing my own repairs, this has REALLY put me off long-term ownership.
Wasn't aware the panda had the sgw perhaps somebody else can confirm?

Allthrough on the newest cars that have one of these fitted like the 500x you can still read codes with a compatible system
But access to anything beyond engine ECU and for fault clearing key programming etc it's. Amish dealer only function stop stop thieves being being able to lose there own key

Wasn't aware the panda had the sgw perhaps somebody else can confirm?

It IS possible it's just my reader. Although it reads everything from my Jag to the daughters Perodua and the wife's old 169 and every other car i've ever put it on.

I'll try my laptop kit on it tomorrow as well.

MES still works fine with my May 2019 Panda TA. I have a generic reader and have nver tried it. It does not do everything I would expect with our much older Seat.

I cannot think its much worth trying to lock people out of car electronics. A waste of time and money as someone will always find a way through!

MES still works fine with my May 2019 Panda TA. I have a generic reader and have nver tried it. It does not do everything I would expect with our much older Seat.

I cannot think its much worth trying to lock people out of car electronics. A waste of time and money as someone will always find a way through!
It can by bypass bit it involves rewiring the obd port
And that would take too much time for a criminal trying to steal the car so I'd say as a concept it works very well

As I posted in the 500L forum.. Mind you, I haven't tested it yet.

https://www.technicalinformation.fiat.com/tech-info-web/acquisto/catalog.do#

It looks as though a day-pass can be purchased through Fiat themselves (for 1.5€). Whether it works with MES or not, I have yet to test. The missus has just purchased a 500L 2018 model (reg. oct '17), that we're picking up next weekend. Will try the purchase in the next few weeks, as I suspect it will have the SGW fitted.

Turns out it was my reader, despite working with everything else ever it doesn't work with the Nuovo Panda.

Because: Italian.

Dug out my old laptop and ELM and it works fine so bought the full MES as well. All working.

Turns out it was my reader, despite working with everything else ever it doesn't work with the Nuovo Panda.

Because: Italian.

Dug out my old laptop and ELM and it works fine so bought the full MES as well. All working.

Yep you have to plug it in, and sort of look at it with a nonchalant shrug as you walk away for a few hours to show you really don't care if it works or not and sidle back with a care free stance to check later. May be it will may be it wont.... does it really matter...

But be warned you must never get seriously angry with it as persuasion is the only line. If you do argue, throw your arms up as you walk away and remember to act as if you aren't bothered and act as if nothing happend next time you check it! Its Italian, it will do things when necessary, but necessarily beforehand.

MES has paid for itself many times over for me just clearing out silly errors. It generates these if you stall the thing! I am still of the opinion that the Panda is as reliable if not more so than other cars.

As I posted in the 500L forum.. Mind you, I haven't tested it yet.

Please do keep us posted on this it could be so useful and well worth the money at that price It does sound too good to be true though. I can't believe Fiat are that enlightened.

My panda is a 2018 car & my dads normal no thrills clarke diagnostic machine works fine on it because my engine light came on, connected machine & no fault code. My dad who is a very old school mechanic did say to me that sometimes these modern cars get the odd tiniest glitch in the system & will throw up a fault light as a result, even though there is no fault. So after checking everything under the bonnet as a precaution, engine light gone & has not returned since. :slayer:

My panda is a 2018 car & my dads normal no thrills clarke diagnostic machine works fine on it because my engine light came on, connected machine & no fault code. My dad who is a very old school mechanic did say to me that sometimes these modern cars get the odd tiniest glitch in the system & will throw up a fault light as a result, even though there is no fault. So after checking everything under the bonnet as a precaution, engine light gone & has not returned since. :slayer:

Panda's as far as I know don't have a SGW
Only certain FCA cars have got it so far

Back