Technical 2018 Fiat Ducato 6 speed comfortmatic Gearbox oil Change?

Currently reading:
Technical 2018 Fiat Ducato 6 speed comfortmatic Gearbox oil Change?

Adzy1981

Hi All..

I have a 2018 Fiat Ducato with the 6 speed comfortmatic gearbox and would like detailed instructions on how to replace the gearbox oil.

Regards

Adam

Hi All..

I have a 2018 Fiat Ducato with the 6 speed comfortmatic gearbox and would like detailed instructions on how to replace the gearbox oil.

Regards

Adam
Hi all..

Actually.. it seems I’ve answered my own question!

My biggest issue was that nothing I could find online, video or documentation matched the physical make up of my gearbox.

Some info showed filling oil through a breather with a cap. Others a cap accessed through the battery tray compartment. Even my drain hole looked different.

Turns out my gearbox is code: 55234830
Which doesn’t seem to be very common these days.

I was going to replace the gearbox oil in the Hope that it would solve the delay between gear changes. After researching the comfortmatic though, I realise this is a trait of the robotized nature so I will leave it alone and :)

Hi

The underlying 6 speed gearbox (Type M40) is basically the same as used in manual Ducatos with high power/high torque engines. Filling arrangement details are scarce. Normally gearbox oil isn't routinely changed, so you would only do it if you suspected contamination e.g. by water ingress or condensation from being laid up a long time. I think it unlikely that delay between gear changes would be affected by the gearbox oil.

There are also two separate reservoirs, one for the clutch fluid and the other for the hydraulic fluid for the high pressure servos used to perform gear changing. Check and top up if required. See picture for details of fluids. Don't get the two mixed up !

Attachments

• Ducato Comfortmatic Fluids.jpg
    Ducato Comfortmatic Fluids.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 220
On the M40 gearbox (Comfortmatics and 150BHP and over variants) the filler plug is on the front face as in the picture just above the speedo (?) drive. Easy to fill with a funnel and length of tubing - no need to use the breather as with the MLGUn boxes. There is also a hex plug at the rear of the box by the final drive which I did read someone suggesting was a level plug but I didn't use that myself, just opted to put back the same amount as came out (2.85L).

Attachments

• 53f1cda4-929c-43fd-a161-8e3da563bc3f.jpg
    53f1cda4-929c-43fd-a161-8e3da563bc3f.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 304
In the robot ONLY SELESPEED FLUID.

The handbook states automatic transmission fluid grade dexron III can be used - dont unless as a temporary emergency measure.

Last edited:
Back