Technical 2017 Fiat 500 Lounge. Master cylinder, Help please.

Currently reading:
Technical 2017 Fiat 500 Lounge. Master cylinder, Help please.

Jojo1912

Reposting as I think I put it in the wrong thread đź«Ł

Hi, My daughter’s car broke the other day. Wouldn’t go in gear. The AA said clutch fluid contaminated, they added fluid then bled the system then she had to drive to the garage where we bought it repeatedly pressing the clutch to keep pressure in the system.They suspected clutch slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder could be damaged due to contaminated fluid.
The garage are saying there is water in the brake fluid, the Master cylinder is damaged and it is a full clutch and brake system that needs replacing which is over ÂŁ900 !,,
This should be covered by the warranty but they are saying that the only way the water got in there is to have physically unscrewed the cap and poured the water in and this has been done recently !
This is 100% not the case as she hasn’t had the bonnet open since her driving test 2 months ago, hasn’t even driven it much since her test and has only been out twice in last 2 weeks. She’s really upset that she has been accused of doing this but they say it’s the only explanation which is utter twaddle !
Soooo how on earth has this water got in there and caused this level of damage ???
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks Jo.

Hard to prove either way, apprentice could have done it before car left garage, they can say it was OK when it left them and caused since then.
Does garage have a good name?
ÂŁ900 seems excessive, if brakes are working correctly the water? may have only gone into the clutch side of the hydraulics as dual reservoir is designed that a clutch fluid loss doesn't drain the brake fluid for obvious reasons.
Apart from having an independent engineer give a report and involving legal help maybe through AA support I don't know best solution.

Back