Technical 2003 DUCATO 2.8 JTD Problem loss of power please help motorhome

Currently reading:
Technical 2003 DUCATO 2.8 JTD Problem loss of power please help motorhome

I have a Euramobil 2003 motorhome 2.8JTD when driving up a hill the diesel light will come on when at top of hill and changing down gear van not on load the light will go out, in the manual it says its nothing to worry about if the light stays off, i have another problem now is when going up hill in 3rd the diesel light will come on then change down to 4th at top of hill enging no load then there is no power like going into limp mode, change gear to 3rd then you have power again, its very strange to diagnose, can anyone help please?

I have a Euramobil 2003 motorhome 2.8JTD when driving up a hill the diesel light will come on when at top of hill and changing down gear van not on load the light will go out, in the manual it says its nothing to worry about if the light stays off, i have another problem now is when going up hill in 3rd the diesel light will come on then change down to 4th at top of hill enging no load then there is no power like going into limp mode, change gear to 3rd then you have power again, its very strange to diagnose, can anyone help please?
I had something like that years ago on a Peugeot diesel and it was water in the fuel filter or water trap.
On some vehicles there is a drain on the filter to check, so it may be worth draining some off and seeing if any contaminant, if so tank will need to be cleaned out and new filters etc.
Another less likely but not unknown on vehicles that are often standing for several months at a time with old diesel in the tank is "DieselBug" this is a type of bacteria which grows in diesel and eventually blocks the system, an occasional treatment of antibacteria additive usually prevents this.

I had something like that years ago on a Peugeot diesel and it was water in the fuel filter or water trap.
On some vehicles there is a drain on the filter to check, so it may be worth draining some off and seeing if any contaminant, if so tank will need to be cleaned out and new filters etc.
Another less likely but not unknown on vehicles that are often standing for several months at a time with old diesel in the tank is "DieselBug" this is a type of bacteria which grows in diesel and eventually blocks the system, an occasional treatment of antibacteria additive usually prevents this.

Thanks for your input i have not had the fuel filter changed for 2 years do you think this could be the problem? would this give loss of power when needed

If the warning light comes on there should be fault codes stored on the ECU. To read these you will need to know whether the vehicle is an x230, or x240 model. This will be revealed by looking at the VIN, which will have the form ZFA230.........., or ZFA244.......... The x230 has a 3pin OBD port near the air filter and requires special adapter leads, while the x244 has the familiar OBD2 16way connector near the drivers knee. Many garages will not have the adapter lead for the earlier x230 port.

I am struggling to convince myself that the problem is not air supply related.

Does the vehicle have EGR fitted?

If the warning light comes on there should be fault codes stored on the ECU. To read these you will need to know whether the vehicle is an x230, or x240 model. This will be revealed by looking at the VIN, which will have the form ZFA230.........., or ZFA244.......... The x230 has a 3pin OBD port near the air filter and requires special adapter leads, while the x244 has the familiar OBD2 16way connector near the drivers knee. Many garages will not have the adapter lead for the earlier x230 port.

I am struggling to convince myself that the problem is not air supply related.

Does the vehicle have EGR fitted?
I dont think it has a EGR as its a 2003 2.8 JTD cannot see a OBD port anywhere in the cab either the van is a tag axle euramobil 810HS

I dont think it has a EGR as its a 2003 2.8 JTD cannot see a OBD port anywhere in the cab either the van is a tag axle euramobil 810HS
Just found the OBD port by drivers knee area it is the later version ZFA244 do you know what reader i should get to read the codes please.

Just found the OBD port by drivers knee area it is the later version ZFA244 do you know what reader i should get to read the codes please.
Sorry for the delayed reply, but I had to accompany my wife to a hospital appointment.
An inexpensive reader will display basic codes, but for more accurate interpretation Multiecuscan running on a windows computer is frequently recommended because it "speaks fluent Fiat".

Thanks for the info my son has just told me he has one and i will get him to see if he can get the codes and see whats happening, will post up the findings for all to see. thanks for your info

Hope this helps

Thanks for your input i have not had the fuel filter changed for 2 years do you think this could be the problem? would this give loss of power when needed.

Bugsymike is right. My oil filter needed changing as well when my Ducato (2015) went into limp mode. Very embarrassing when i came to a hill. after the filter was changed , which i did myself, i had some problems with possible contamination in the line and low pressure on one injector. I would be meticulously and carefully clean when changing the filter. I had to add Wurth injector cleaner for weeks to get it unblocked. Wasn't able to remove to clean.

At least you have fixed it now, I like the 2.8 Sofim engine best, reasonable power and uncomplicated compared with later engines, though maybe not so economical. I had several in Iveco Daily's and one Ducato Maxi van. Change cambelt when due regularly though, as failure bends the conrods!!!
Not me I hasten to add;), when I first started running them a son in law obtained several blown engines from a local mini bus company so I was able to use for spares, cam belt failure was the most common from lack of maintenance followed in those older ones by "mechanics" trying to increase speed by adjusting injector pump governor, big mistake.:(

Just to update we found the problem it was the waste gate on the actuator side the linkage was seized stopping it boosting corectly did change fuel filter but this did not rectify the problem.

Just to update we found the problem it was the waste gate on the actuator side the linkage was seized stopping it boosting corectly did change fuel filter but this did not rectify the problem.
Does sound like you may have had two problems, the filter etc causing the warning lights and the wastegate issue giving lack of power, as on older 2.8s doesn't usually put a warning light on in my experience, though I stand to be corrected;).

Does sound like you may have had two problems, the filter etc causing the warning lights and the wastegate issue giving lack of power, as on older 2.8s doesn't usually put a warning light on in my experience, though I stand to be corrected;).
No its not the fuel filter as i test drove the van after install the fault still happend with fuel light on, it was the waste gate that brought the disiel light on, it struggled to boost therefor setting a sensor off on the fuel side of things, when the waste gate was fixed the problem went away and all good.

Back