Technical 2000 Palio EL 1.6 clutch replacement

Currently reading:
Technical 2000 Palio EL 1.6 clutch replacement

Brian De Cruz

Hi All ... newbie here ... glad to find a Fiat forum :)
I recently had my clutch replaced (yesterday) and its seems very "soft" and engages right at the bottom of the "pedal travel"
It used to ride quite high and be a bit stiff. Is a new clutch supposed to be so soft ? the mechanic assures me its normal .... its the "button clutch" which to my limited knowledge is used for racing surely ???
I have so many questions but will post extra threads if anyone is still responding to these posts here ...

Thanks in advance for any help with this !

Welcome!

What modal year is your Palio?
Is the clutch cable or hydraulic operated?
A new clutch, always feels "soft" btw.

I just noticed it is a 2000 model, so the clutch is cable operated.
You can have the pedal/clutch engaging anywhere you want it, by adjusting the cable, easy.

Last edited:
Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply ... my only concern is that it now engages quite low down to the floor, but I will give it a few days and see if there is any difference in pedal travel. I may just get them to adjust the cable if it stays this way (y)

Thanks mate .... I wouldnt have known what to tell the mechanic myself ! I have one last question ... the lifters on the engine are clattering badly ... the problem hasnt got worse in over a year ... how bad would it be to take the vehicle on a long trip ... or over a certain speed ? I assume they just draw oil up from the sump ... is there anything else I should know besides that ? I am going to replace them when I have the bux ....

They are hydraulic operated, by means of oilpressure.
It is essential to use a quality oil with the correct viscosity, and change it frequently, together with a good oilfilter.
I use synthetic Castrol Edge Sport 0W40 in our Palio, with Fram or Bosch oilfilter.
You could consider cleaning the hydraulic tappets ( before an oil change) with special oil treatment, sometimes this quits the lifters somewhat.

Thanks again .... well the car must go back today ... the clutch shudders badly when you pull away ... its leaking fluid somewhere and the vibration on the front left wheel which he said was the inner CV joint is STILL there .. so he replaced the CV for no reason ...Im going to kill him today !!!!

There's an oil seal on both sides of the gearbox, inside the rubber dustseals.
Those dustseals are to be replaced with a clutch change imo.
The shuddering clutch means there's probably oil on the plate...

Have you changed the wheels from left to right to see what happens with the vibrating?

finally got the car back with a 2nd clutch installed and now its perfect ... the vibration is still there and the wheel was balanced and the alignment done ... Bearing was checked and its good as well ... inner CV joint done ... nothing helps ... I give up !!! You only feel it if you go over 80Kms/h and if you turn the steering slightly to the left .... can only feel it very slightly when going straight and nothing at all when turning to the right ... very strange indeed ...

Back