Technical 1999 Fiat Punto 60 TEAM Engine grinding. Help!

Currently reading:
Technical 1999 Fiat Punto 60 TEAM Engine grinding. Help!

tbishopcob

Hello All,

I have just bought a 1999 Fiat Punto 60 Team and there is a very concerning sound coming from the engine.

Starting the engine and leaving it in neutral, the sound becomes progressively louder and more frequent as the revs are increased, becoming far more apparent at about 2000-2500rpm. Depressing the clutch makes no difference. The engine responds appropriately to the gas pedal.

I have posted a video on youtube which pretty accurately captures the sound, you'll notice it becomes far more pronounced with increased revs and is most obvious at the end of the video;

Since I am a new member I can't post a weblink but search youtube for "rikieAlOkl4" and it should pop up as the only entry.

Looking under the bonnet, the sound seems to be coming from the top right-hand-side but this could be misleading.

On checking the valve clearances, they were all ok bar number four exhaust valve, which had approximately zero clearance. However, I don't think this can be the cause of the sound as it is not frequent enough to match up to the revolutions of the cam shaft. Anyone think any differently?

The engine oil appears very dirty, so I will change that now and also replace the filter. I also plan to inspect the cam belt and tensioner tomorrow.

Any suggestions / comments would be much appreciated.

Tristan

Hello All,

I have just bought a 1999 Fiat Punto 60 Team and there is a very concerning sound coming from the engine.

Starting the engine and leaving it in neutral, the sound becomes progressively louder and more frequent as the revs are increased, becoming far more apparent at about 2000-2500rpm. Depressing the clutch makes no difference. The engine responds appropriately to the gas pedal.

I have posted a video on youtube which pretty accurately captures the sound, you'll notice it becomes far more pronounced with increased revs and is most obvious at the end of the video;

Since I am a new member I can't post a weblink but search youtube for "rikieAlOkl4" and it should pop up as the only entry.

Looking under the bonnet, the sound seems to be coming from the top right-hand-side but this could be misleading.

On checking the valve clearances, they were all ok bar number four exhaust valve, which had approximately zero clearance. However, I don't think this can be the cause of the sound as it is not frequent enough to match up to the revolutions of the cam shaft. Anyone think any differently?

The engine oil appears very dirty, so I will change that now and also replace the filter. I also plan to inspect the cam belt and tensioner tomorrow.

Any suggestions / comments would be much appreciated.

Tristan

Could be the water pump or even the alternator bearings (cant listen to the u-tube video) but the water pump should be changed at the same time as the cam-belt and tensioners. Try running the motor for a short time with the auxiliary belt off and see if the noise is still present.
You need the correct tools and procedure by the way or you could be back on here with a Thread " Changed cambelt but now wont start" or similar.

Last edited:
No need for special tools, just align flywhel and camshaft to marks. It's "safe" engine BTW.

Back