General 16" alloy as spare wheel?

Currently reading:
General 16" alloy as spare wheel?

will the 16" alloy wheel fit in the spare wheel space?

I dont have one off the car to try, but maybe one of you knows?

ta
As it didn't have a spare we bought a genuine Fiat steel 15" wheel for my boy's Punto (2012 1.4 Punto Easy) and fitted it with the same standard 185/65x15 as is fitted to the alloys on the car. It fits the spare wheel well with no problem. Although your car is on 16" rims I'll bet the aspect ratio of the tyre is different (ie, not a 65?) so the overall rolling diameter remains the same to avoid having to alter gearbox final drive ratios and retain speedo accuracy. So, in simple language, it's very likely it will fit.

My steels fit as in every other FIAT

UPSIDEDOWN in the boot.. tool kit and jack sat in the centre.. long bolt down through the lot

Stock 15" twinair alloy wont fit over the central post.. where the bolt screws into

So:
Tools in 1st
Alloy laid in 'shiny side up'
It works :)

I seem to recall Palio saying that on his ESSEESSE that the tyre has to be deflated
To fit in the well..

2 sides to that..

When you get recovered from motorway to services.. the agent can fit and inflate..
You are on your way like nothing happened :)

If you step out of house in the morning to find a tyre flat.. you've got 2 jobs to do
( and I hate the noisy drone of the plug.in inflators.. you neighbours might too)

Last edited:
So:
Tools in 1st

The finish on some designs of alloy may be damage if stored "upside down" so installing it this way, when an alloy, might be just good practice?

When I bought my Ibiza it didn't come with a spare either. The car was a new(ish) model at that time so alloys weren't turning up on the web but I wanted a spare. Like with my boy's Punto, I bought a steel spare (the car is an "ecomotive" so comes on the 15" wheels with high profile tyres (60% aspect ratio) - which I like for better ride quality.

I have however, found one disadvantage to carrying a steel spare when the car's road wheels are alloys and that is that the spare is likely to become unusable due to aging rather than wearing out! If your spare is an alloy you can rotate it onto the car and so not "waste" it as it ages.

DOH
When I switched from 15" wheels to 16" I used a tyre size calculator, of course my 16" with lower profile tyres was more or less [slightly less] than my 15" set were

so of course one will drop in the wheel well

I think I was wondering if the centre fitting that the tools set screws to was the same

I think I need to take a front wheel off soon to check something, so I will give it a go and see if it goes in, if it does I will look out for a matching 5th wheel.

My steels fit as in every other FIAT

UPSIDEDOWN in the boot.. tool kit and jack sat in the centre.. long bolt down through the lot

Stock 15" twinair alloy wont fit over the central post.. where the bolt screws into

So:
Tools in 1st

I seem to recall Palio saying that on his ESSEESSE that the tyre has to be deflated
To fit in the well..

2 sides to that..

When you get recovered from motorway to services.. the agent can fit and inflate..
You are on your way like nothing happened :)

If you step out of house in the morning to find a tyre flat.. you've got 2 jobs to do
( and I hate the noisy drone of the plug.in inflators.. you neighbours might too)

Yes, I’ve got a full sized 18” alloy wheel and tyre in the EsseEsse! I took all the plastic rubbish out, and just had to deflate the tyre a bit. There’s a tiny hump in the carpet, but I’ve got a boot tray anyway. Alloy face up. I don’t actually have a jack and there are no jacking points shown in the Abarth handbook, but I’ll just call the RAC if I get a puncture - surely better than being stranded on the motorway with a shredded tyre and just a can of gunk to look at...... (y)

Back