135 MA tuning

Currently reading:
135 MA tuning

Jord11

Hi, I'm looking at adding a few mods to my 135 multiair but I'm not 100% sure on what output I will have.

I currently have a corsa limited edition 1.3 diesel with a dtuk tuning box, piper cat back exhaust and a itg panel filter and these mods have made a significant improvement to the car and these are the type of mods I'm looking to add to my new car when it arrives late next month.

Now the mods I have looked into are, k&n air filter or bmc cda, tmc tuning box and either a cat back exhaust or a 200 cell sports cat, I know the sports cat would give me extra bhp but what would a cat back give me as I don't want an insanely loud exhaust just want I nice raspy sound when my foot is down.

So what do you guys think about bhp and is there anyone on here that has these mods?

Hi, I'm looking at adding a few mods to my 135 multiair but I'm not 100% sure on what output I will have.

I currently have a corsa limited edition 1.3 diesel with a dtuk tuning box, piper cat back exhaust and a itg panel filter and these mods have made a significant improvement to the car and these are the type of mods I'm looking to add to my new car when it arrives late next month.

Now the mods I have looked into are, k&n air filter or bmc cda, tmc tuning box and either a cat back exhaust or a 200 cell sports cat, I know the sports cat would give me extra bhp but what would a cat back give me as I don't want an insanely loud exhaust just want I nice raspy sound when my foot is down.

So what do you guys think about bhp and is there anyone on here that has these mods?

When you refer to the 135 multi-air I'm assuming you're referring to the 1.4 MA engine with a garret turbo and it has the 5 speed C510 gearbox.
If you add a TMC tuning box it will give the best bhp per £ but be aware of the additional strains that it puts on everything and a shorter oil service interval would be prudent.
A guy with a MiTo QV fitted an induction from TMC and was very pleased with it - not sure if it gave any extra bhp but it sounded good and it felt more torquey. As it happened the bhp claimed at 170 was only producing 163bhp in standard form and the air box was deemed to restrict airflow. If you use the tuning box it might be the next mod. I've fitted a K&N to a 155TB and you would hardly notice it. The BMC CDA isn't supposedly up to much.
If you have a generous budget then you could start looking at the exhaust and fitting a sports cat. Unsure if a 200 cell would require a re-map.

Yeah the 135 MA 5speed, yeah I've looked into the tmc box and its quite popular with the A500 135, which is the same engine.

The airbox in the QV is restrictive and is the reason why the output is only163 but with a air filter its a lot closer to the 170 stated figure, I'm not sure if the 135 also has a restrictive airbox but I know in sport mode it gives out 143bhp.

I've saw a few vids on youtube off a 135 with a k&n and it sounds good but not heard a bmc and I am not sure if there is much performance gain with either of them.

I completely forgot that by changing the cat the car may go into limp mode, so I think I'll go for a cat back but again I'm not sure on what sort of gains I would get from that.

When you refer to the 135 multi-air I'm assuming you're referring to the 1.4 MA engine with a garret turbo and it has the 5 speed C510 gearbox.
If you add a TMC tuning box it will give the best bhp per £ but be aware of the additional strains that it puts on everything and a shorter oil service interval would be prudent.
A guy with a MiTo QV fitted an induction from TMC and was very pleased with it - not sure if it gave any extra bhp but it sounded good and it felt more torquey. As it happened the bhp claimed at 170 was only producing 163bhp in standard form and the air box was deemed to restrict airflow. If you use the tuning box it might be the next mod. I've fitted a K&N to a 155TB and you would hardly notice it. The BMC CDA isn't supposedly up to much.
If you have a generous budget then you could start looking at the exhaust and fitting a sports cat. Unsure if a 200 cell would require a re-map.

Yeah the 135 MA 5speed, yeah I've looked into the tmc box and its quite popular with the A500 135, which is the same engine.

The airbox in the QV is restrictive and is the reason why the output is only163 but with a air filter its a lot closer to the 170 stated figure, I'm not sure if the 135 also has a restrictive airbox but I know in sport mode it gives out 143bhp.

I've saw a few vids on youtube off a 135 with a k&n and it sounds good but not heard a bmc and I am not sure if there is much performance gain with either of them.

I completely forgot that by changing the cat the car may go into limp mode, so I think I'll go for a cat back but again I'm not sure on what sort of gains I would get from that.

A sports cat wont need a remap if you fit a little adapter for the 2nd lambda sensor, but a de-cat needs 2 adapters. Im running de-cat (£158 delivered) with custom made 2 1/4" (About 60mm outer diameter) cat back (£400 fitted) and to be honest, it is certainly faster, not sure what sort of BHP im running, maybe 150-155bhp? No power run yet so not sure. I've not got a tuning box on mine though but I'm looking at them for christmas.

As for other tuning, it all depends on what your wanting from the engine, for example, TMC sell a forge piston kit for £1,100 + shipping + VAT (Which works out at £1,340), Turbo upgrade (Manifold, turbo and cat) which is £4000+shipping+VAT, and they also sell the Garrett GT1446 which is a step up from the GT1248 turbo fitted to the MA 135. Im not too sure what the maximum power output on the GT1248 (I think thats the model anyway) is, but I wouldn't want to put out more than 160 from it. The GT1446 is something like 641 + Shipping + VAT so works out expensive (About 800).

And what "Sport" button exists Punto Sporting? Its only the Abarth thats got a sport button.

Wow thanks for the feedback great advice been given here!

So I can have a sports cat along as I have an adapter for the second lamba sensor, then this is defo something I'll look into.

As for turbo upgrades I'm not looking into anything like that as all my mods will be on my insurance and I see adding a turbo as a huge mod and will add a lot more to my premium and tbh I would just buy a faster car.

As for the sport button I wasn't sure about the punto but I know the 500 defo has it and puts out 143 in the sports mode?

What engine is your car if you have 155ish bhp after an exhaust and tuning box as this is the sort of figure I'm after.

But thanks again for the help and advice!

No tuning box mate, If i was running a tuning box plus the exhaust, I might be looking closer to 180, hence the main reason I don't have one installed.

Depending on the age of the car, it might be slightly more worthwhile looking into decat, but you'd need to get 2 adapters. A sports cat will give you about 80% of the power gain a de-cat would.

Turbo upgrades, look for an Abarth punto evo engine, although very hard to come by, may end up being cheaper than buying a brand new one. I've tried contacting turbotechniks but they didn't reply, *a$$hole$*.....

My car is the Fiat Punto Evo Sporting M-Air turbo (Multi-Air) 135.

Oh so you have a 135 MA, what's the diameter of your exhaust as I think I will go custom and get a sports cat made up.

Do you think the tuning box will work along side a sports cat to give it more bhp?

Can't see how it wouldn't. But to be honest mate, if you are wanting a sports cat, you'd be better buying one rather than making one up. It will be cheaper as the turbo fixing isn't a straight forward bolt. Its a "V" clamp.

My exhaust is in the previous post but its internal diameter is 2.25" (~57mm) bore (60mm diameter). No center box. Heres pics a video of it BEFORE the decat:

IMAG0532.jpg

IMAG0533.jpg

Last edited:

Do you have a 135MA or are you looking to buy one ?

A sports cat wont need a remap if you fit a little adapter for the 2nd lambda sensor, but a de-cat needs 2 adapters. Im running de-cat (£158 delivered) with custom made 2 1/4" (About 60mm outer diameter) cat back (£400 fitted) and to be honest, it is certainly faster, not sure what sort of BHP im running, maybe 150-155bhp? No power run yet so not sure. I've not got a tuning box on mine though but I'm looking at them for christmas.

I was under the impression that to fit a Sports cat it would come after the manifold and since the standard CAT is in the manifold this would have to be replaced. It's been reported on other models that this often triggers CAT light and that would involve a remap.

Not too sure if I would be comfortable running a car without a CAT. Does this not cause any MOT issues ?

As for other tuning, it all depends on what your wanting from the engine, for example, TMC sell a forge piston kit for £1,100 + shipping + VAT (Which works out at £1,340), Turbo upgrade (Manifold, turbo and cat) which is £4000+shipping+VAT, and they also sell the Garrett GT1446 which is a step up from the GT1248 turbo fitted to the MA 135. Im not too sure what the maximum power output on the GT1248 (I think thats the model anyway) is, but I wouldn't want to put out more than 160 from it. The GT1446 is something like 641 + Shipping + VAT so works out expensive (About 800).
You would need to budget for a different gearbox like a M32 or the new C635. Quoted torque figures IIRC for the C510 is 201Nm whilst the M32 / C635 are 320Nm/350Nm.

Do you have a 135MA or are you looking to buy one ?

I was under the impression that to fit a Sports cat it would come after the manifold and since the standard CAT is in the manifold this would have to be replaced. It's been reported on other models that this often triggers CAT light and that would involve a remap.

Not too sure if I would be comfortable running a car without a CAT. Does this not cause any MOT issues ?

You would need to budget for a different gearbox like a M32 or the new C635. Quoted torque figures IIRC for the C510 is 201Nm whilst the M32 / C635 are 320Nm/350Nm.

I can get a M32 quite cheap (About 400 for a recon or so) but would need a bell housing for fit the engine so that idea is out the window as far as I can see. I didn't realise that the C635 was the DCT. Thing is, how would it be hooked up? It would obviously need access to the canbus for a few different parameters.

I can get a M32 quite cheap (About 400 for a recon or so) but would need a bell housing for fit the engine so that idea is out the window as far as I can see. I didn't realise that the C635 was the DCT. Thing is, how would it be hooked up? It would obviously need access to the canbus for a few different parameters.

The C635 is the replacement to the M32 and is used on the QV. Not too sure if it's used on the APE but the M32 is used on the GPA. If you end up with a 135MA I wouldn't go mad with the mods and save your money for the higher end model.

I have the abarth's little brother, the Punto evo sporting.

The APE has the M32 box. Would think a induction kit and a reamp will probably be the limit for mine, not keen on going mad anyway. Not sure if I'm keeping the car after the finance agreement is over.

I've just put pen to paper on a 135 MA but I have 700 quid left over as I was going to buy some alloys but I got them added in the deal, so I will be doing small mods like light upgrades along side bigger mods like exhaust filter, I will buy a tuning box later on probably a year after ownership but defo don't want to remap as it would void warranty.

That sounds good is that with a sport cat or just a back box or cat back? I'm ideally after a similar sound to the A500 exhaust as a guy on my road has one and the sound is just perfect!

Have you got a vid of what yours sounds like now?

Oh ok posted it up when it's done!

I'm sure it's just a standard A500, his not the modding type lol

Back