Technical 12v connection

Currently reading:
Technical 12v connection

Flock

As a newbie on the electric parts of my car...where can I get the 12v for a strobe gun in my engine room? I bought a fancy gun that is suitable for wasted spark and measures revs etc etc. I just don't know where to get the power from.

Naamloos-9.jpg

I take 12V from the 12V feed to the coil and 0V from where the coil is bolted to the chassis. I also route the strobe wires between the oil filler cap and the carburettor so they don't touch the hot exhaust.

Might be easier with one of the old neon ones that go in series with the spark plug lead

No, don't have a multimeter.

No idea what 'the old neon ones that go in series with the spark plug lead' means :confused:

Ik had a cheap timing gun but had no idea of the revs. That one I attached to the battery of my normal car. The new gun has shorter cables so I need a powersupply within the engine bay.

No, don't have a multimeter.

No idea what 'the old neon ones that go in series with the spark plug lead' means :confused:

Ik had a cheap timing gun but had no idea of the revs. That one I attached to the battery of my normal car. The new gun has shorter cables so I need a powersupply within the engine bay.
Don't worry then. There are 4 connections to a wasted spark coil. Two HT leads, one 12V ignition and the other goes to the distributor. Connect the negative from your timing gun to a bolt on the chassis. The one bolting the coil to the body is good. Connect the other to what you think is the 12V lead. If it works, it is right. If it doesn't work, you won't have broken anything. Make sure the ignition is turned on of course!

Another note, if your timing strobe is like mine, there is a button you can press to make it show the engine speed. You can set the idle speed of your engine using this, rather than doing it by ear.

I bought the webertools wt-4109. Will try-out it next week if my wife is at work. 'What happends in the garage stays in the garage '

As a newbie on the electric parts of my car...where can I get the 12v for a strobe gun in my engine room? I bought a fancy gun that is suitable for wasted spark and measures revs etc etc. I just don't know where to get the power from.

View attachment 433833
Take care that the leads on the strobe don't get tangled in the engine.
On the alternator there is a terminal post with a M6 nut that should be insulated with a rubber cap. If it is, pull back the rubber and connect the red lead of the strobe; the black can go on any good, bare metal of the engine. The M6 terminal is permanently live and connects to the battery, so be careful around it and avoid creating any short-circuit.⚠️

Back