General 100HP - Bilstein vs Stock vs Koni STR.T

Currently reading:
General 100HP - Bilstein vs Stock vs Koni STR.T

Chrshndrsn

Hi folks,

Apologies for yet another thread on this but I have a very specific question!

I'm hopefully picking up a very low-miles 100HP tomorrow, subject to test drive (y) Not the one I was originally looking at in the other thread, but it was the drive in the first one that sold the Panda to me. I noticed that it had been fitted with Bilsteins (at least on the back) which seem reasonably cheap and reasonably easy to get ahold of.

Does anyone know if Bilsteins significantly improve the ride comfort over good condition stock shocks? (I'm assuming the ones on the 09 car will be in ok condition based on age and low miles)

Are Bilsteins a straight swap for OEM in terms of fit? I've seen some stuff on other threads (which I don't fully understand) about the Koni's being awkward to fit at the front?

I'm already pushing way beyond my intended budget to get a low-miles car, so the Koni Sports are just too pricey for me. The STR.T's seem reasonably similar in price to the Bilsteins, but the potential trickyness to fit at the front (and the complaints I've seen about the front handling?) on some threads are making me lean towards the Bilsteins.

If I find the ride intolerably hard/bouncy in this 'new' Panda compared to the Bilstein-equipped one I tried earlier, I'm guessing I'm safe to assume the Bilsteins will be a big step in the right direction and a relatively easy job to fit with no additional parts needed on an 09 100HP?

Thanks again for any help and advice folks, really been impressed with how helpful everyone has been on this forum!

I'm assuming the ones on the 09 car will be in ok condition based on age and low miles

Hmm. There have been posts here from folks who've had to replace shocks after as little as 18months.

Low miles or not, it's still a 7yr old car. In the UK climate, I'm of the opinion that cars deteriorate more on age than on mileage.

Motorbike shocks such as Wilbers will only keep their three years warranty if they are serviced every 15,000 miles. That means a full strip, clean, new seal, rebuild and regas.

Most shocks are well past their best at 20K. The higher quality stuff, with it's tighter internal clearances, needs regular service to avoid permanent damage.

I bought my car with bilstein dampers and eibach springs that lower it 30mm. I cannot comprehend (yet) the difference between the Koni's. I can tell you that one of the rear bilsteins is broken after 4 years. I had never noticed but there was no bumpstop on one side. The upper rubber mounting bush had come away from the damper. I am in the process of replacing the dampers with the Koni ones - fitting a spacer for the larger diameter hole and also fitting the fiat coupe bumpstops which have been a nightmare to find due to stock levels. Hopefully everything will be fit by the end of next week.

As nobbles has found not having a bump stop will wreck the shock absorber. Bikes usually have a rising rate linkage that gradually make the spring more effective so if it bottoms out the forces are low.

Crashing the suspension into the shock itself will soon do damage.

Back