Technical 1.6 16v stilo very thirsty on coolant

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 16v stilo very thirsty on coolant

celtas118

stumbled on this site the other day and have been reading the related articles and must say bit concerned for the out come i own an 02 1.6 dynamic.
car has been great lately though its been going through a lot of coolant and seems to have lost a bit of its acceleration thought it might have something to do with a small hole in the exhaust flex which led to replacing the exhaust.
still lacks the power it had and still goes through a lot of coolant broke down once with partner called the AA by the time he came out it started no prob he had a look and said it might be the map sensor just hopin not a head gasket prob

check for leaks!!!!

radiators on the stilo are prone to leaking (I should know as mine is also leaking). have a good root around the bottom of the rad or leave some cardboard under it overnight to check.

you can also take it to a garage and have them pressure check the cooling system.

thanks for the heads up on the leaks link but unlike them i have no visible signs of coolant escaping no over night spots on cardboard no residues round pipe connections although after a run out today noticed some white froth in the reservoir think might have to face facts that its more serious than just a leak:bang:
booked in for a check up on Friday so will find out either way if good or bad once again thanks for the replies.

just got my stilo back from garage mechanic says tested for head gasket damage and there are no clear signs of it but not impossible says to watch for loss of coolant and wet patches overnight something i have already done after reading similar threads gave some of the same causes as i have seen on sight water pump and reservoir cap not sealing properly.
he did however say he had cleaned the map sensor which was well over due and gave me the fault codes that came up just wondering if anyone can clarify the codes or if there's somewhere i can find out what the codes relate to.
the first code is P0460 and the other is P0105
any help much appreciated

best i know:
P0460 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0105 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction

neither will cause coolant loss

I'd be inclined to use a passive cooling system sealant (that's the type you just leave in the system). Many include a pump lubricant too which is useful.
went out the other day and flushed out the coolant and bottle topped it up again and have been running fine this morning however found a small puddle sitting on the plastic guard trim
took it to mechanic he says most prob the water pump what is the cost to replace and once replaced would it be beneficial to run a sealer through it

given any choice i'd stay away from additives of any kind (oil or coolant) - think the pump on 1.6 is driven via auxiliary belt (not timing belt) so should be fairly cheap to replace (much less labour to take aux off when compared to timing belt) pump is about £40 odd squid + maybe 2 hrs labour? I've no idea on prices though (my independent charges £30 p/h – main dealer is £60)

given any choice i'd stay away from additives of any kind (oil or coolant)
I'm surprised to hear you say that as I tend to swear by coolant additives (certainly those that include a lubricant). I can't remember the last time a water pump failed.

Agree about oil additives though (y) I'll never forget 'STP' costing me an engine rebuild many years ago :mad:

ah - almost paid with me engine too (may still be the case.. it's not been running too well of late). Never tried coolant additives (but hearing your advise - may give it a go as my thermostat is sticking.. perhaps some lubricant will sort it out ;) would you advise any specific make?)

(y)cheers guys got it checked in for tues gives me heads up for parts needed timing belt done 6 month ago don't think that they replaced aux belt or water pump just hopin that will be the end of this years fixes:rolleyes:
can you recommend any lub additive just so i don't cause a whole heap of new problems

I used to swear by Bar's Leaks but it's now a very old product and you need to be careful when used with small bore radiators (not sure if it's safe with the Stilo) although I've used it with many cars without issue - and never had a cooling system problem.

Currently I'm using Omega 906 (from eBay) which is a dedicated pump lubricant. I've not had any cooling/pump issues on my Stilo in 6.5 years but I suppose that's not really conclusive :)

head gasket trouble seems to haunt me constantly every private buy had same trouble bought the stilo from dealer this time still got problems just bad karma i guess :D at least not head gasket this time or did i just jinx it

Back