General 1/4 mile runs in a gp

Currently reading:
General 1/4 mile runs in a gp

Im goingto give my remapped mjet a run down the strip at Santa pod at te fast show.
I've never done a quarter mile so has anyone got any tips?

Not sure wether to bother with 1st and go straight from
2nd!
Should I leave traction control on?

Im goingto give my remapped mjet a run down the strip at Santa pod at te fast show.
I've never done a quarter mile so has anyone got any tips?

Not sure wether to bother with 1st and go straight from
2nd!
Should I leave traction control on?

why go from 2nd? the quickest pullaway will surely be from 1st gear, unless u have insannneeeee amount of torque

have got a little bit of tourque I supose!

I red somewhere dom130 done a run starting off in 2nd.

1st gear in a diesel is rubbish. Just spins, sounds crap, smokes alot and is all over befor 20mph!

have got a little bit of tourque I supose!

I red somewhere dom130 done a run starting off in 2nd.

1st gear in a diesel is rubbish. Just spins, sounds crap, smokes alot and is all over befor 20mph!

have u got the 1.9 then? iv got the 1.3 diesel, and itl pull away in 2nd pretty easily, but not nearly as quick as 1st though.

Cant believe you are comparing your unmapped 1.3 do a mapped 1.9 lol

Id go find a nice straight quite road in the middle of nowhere and practice your launches. I would do it without TC on as it will cut power even if it spins up slightly which isnt what you want. If you get launch RPM right then you shouldnt spin up too much and it is probably worth you seeing which gear you feel most comfortable launching in.

Cant believe you are comparing your unmapped 1.3 do a mapped 1.9 lol

Id go find a nice straight quite road in the middle of nowhere and practice your launches. I would do it without TC on as it will cut power even if it spins up slightly which isnt what you want. If you get launch RPM right then you shouldnt spin up too much and it is probably worth you seeing which gear you feel most comfortable launching in.

:yeahthat:
Also worth noting tho, weather dependand, pod can be extreamly grippy with all the rubber that is layed down. Drive shaft abuse? :D

My friend was running his fabia vRS at santapod (I did have the vids on youtube of the 1st gear start, then the second gear start, cant find them now though) here it is on the dyno..

with the first gear start he managed 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, with the second gear start he made it in 6.1 seconds.... his car is running 260bhp though, and is highly modded, he has a "sport" clutch in there that is supposed to be able to handle it, he was still hurting his clutch though, and traction control just kills the power, wheelspin kills the acceleration ;) you have to get the balance right (y) not sure I would be happy launching my mapped m/jet from second with 314lbs/ft going through the standard clutch though... unless you were budgeting for a new clutch anyway ;)

yeah its my clutch that i worry about! tbh i seem to get better launches by going 1st gear and not provoking wheel spin, alot of people have said to rev to 3k then lift the clutch up, which just causes wheel spin through 1st and 2nd!

i feel this thread got lost and is in need of return. did you go to fast show and what were your times? i want to take my 1.9 130 down the strip too.... has a tuning box at the minute but i dont think they do the engine justice and are a little funny sometimes at high revs. so will be aiming for a remap before i run the run.

also only had my gps for 2 months and usually suffered from wheelspin but crickey! the other day at the lights, no idea what rpm but it was bang on and there was grip all through 1st and second and shot off like a rocket! wish i was paying more attention to revs instead of green lights haha

i feel this thread got lost and is in need of return. did you go to fast show and what were your times? i want to take my 1.9 130 down the strip too.... has a tuning box at the minute but i dont think they do the engine justice and are a little funny sometimes at high revs. so will be aiming for a remap before i run the run.

also only had my gps for 2 months and usually suffered from wheelspin but crickey! the other day at the lights, no idea what rpm but it was bang on and there was grip all through 1st and second and shot off like a rocket! wish i was paying more attention to revs instead of green lights haha

If you get the RPM just right it will be fine! As was mentioned earlier in the thread, just get some practice in. When I was on the strip I launched at 3k RPM in first gear and that was what worked best for me.

2nd gear launches are by far the best for the mjet, but your gearbox wont last 2 minutes doing that and neither will the clutch.

:( boooo! can you buy quick shifts for the mjet? changing from 1st to second shouldnt be much of an issue in a drag race with a quick shift.

Sadly not that I know of, they do one for the tjet but thats a completely different box.

do they share the same box then the punto 6 speed and the vxr's? which one is it from the list on that link?? model name/number or whatever

The mjet engine is the Z19DTH.

I assume the abarth runs the same version of the M32 as the corsa vxr as there are only 6 types of M32 box. So in that case it would fit, just as it would fit on the mjet box.

Back