1.3JTD Tuning Chip

Currently reading:
1.3JTD Tuning Chip

Jehu

The 1.3JTD 68bhp is seriously underpowered for the IDEA, until the turbo kicks in, and drawing away from a cold start is really sluggish. Maybe its a heavy car for the engine, compared to the Panda, say. The missus was expressing concern struggling onto the motorway in the mornings (its on a hill). I bought one of these Italianbox chips for £60 (+£10 express postage from Italy) off fleebay. I put it in yesterday when she got home and it was like nigth and day. Today, after sitting all night in the frost it pulled away like a different car. I've heard of anotther IDEA owner and corsa owner (same engine) having the same complaint. I would advise anyone with the 1.3 68bhp engine to get one of these chips, the difference is amazing.

Never really found this with my punto 1.3 Multijet sometimes if not used for a few days it can have a bit of a judder for the first 50 yards and a little underpowered for the first half mile but other than that its always been a strong little engine, and i've never had a problem getting up to speed on the motor ways

i've had the car three and a half years and put 40k miles on it too.

some idea of what the tuning box is and actually does would be useful

Never really found this with my punto 1.3 Multijet sometimes if not used for a few days it can have a bit of a judder for the first 50 yards and a little underpowered for the first half mile but other than that its always been a strong little engine, and i've never had a problem getting up to speed on the motor ways

i've had the car three and a half years and put 40k miles on it too.

some idea of what the tuning box is and actually does would be useful
I've no idea what it does, but its nothing like the petrol versions which are often just a resistor to make the engine burn rich. Maybe some diesel chips are better than others - this one looks like its well made and chunky, not just a tin box. Wife has to join the motorway uphill with a cold engine and could hardly enter the traffic above 35mph, with lorries bearing down on her. Now the car's got real dig.

Did a little bit of reading and found they are indeed a little more than a resistor, they seem to have some sort of microprocessor. Ironically they do still overfuel the engine slightly but reports from all over the Internet swear by them so they clearly have a bit more going for them.

Would be interesting to hear how you get on over the next couple of months, especially the fuel consumption differences

So far I havent detected any change in mileage. Accelerating uses a bit more as would be expected due to the increased power but it takes less effort once its up to speed due to the increased torque. I reckon its heavier on fuel on short urban trips and better on fuel on long trips.I intend to take the car for a long run in March (800 mile round trip so that will be conclusive). Whatever, even if theres a loss on mileage its cheap for the increase in power.

My son's corsa has the same engine except its the 90hp tune. I take it that means its just mapped differently? Would the rail pressure in the chipped IDEA be any more than what's in the corsa?

Yes the 1.3 is common Rail. also if the box is designed to up the fuel rail pressure but not cause the ECU to error then it is simply tricking the ECU into thinking the pressure is lower than it really is.

so a diagnostic scan should see the fuel pressure at, what ever it should be. even if it is much higher, thats the tuning box doing its job

Its so far so good. Loads of power for a small reduction in economy. I'm eager to get an opportunity to take it on a long run to check the fuel consumption when its not always having to accelerate/decelerate.

Back