Technical 1.2 16 v 2002 stilo

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 16 v 2002 stilo

petawee

hi ,did head gasket on stilo everything ok except when starting it spins over for a few seconds before it fires.Before you just had to tip the key and it started,also sometimes when it starts it revs off the clock without touching anything but not always.I have not brought it anywhere yet for diagnostics......just lookin for a few opinions before i do. THANKS ALL P

How long ago did you do your head gasket? when you remove the -ve terminal on your battery the ECU resets itself and takes a while (upto a couple of weeks) acording to a lot of threads to relearn the engine try doing a search using relearn as the search perameter loads of info
Hope this helps

Karl

Same advice, give it a while to relearn best settings. Revving "off the clock" is a bit alarming or is that just exaggeration?

If you're unhappy with the way things are going then reset the ecu again

About 200 miles ago ,did it first after t/belt tens collapsed, did not bleed it properly and had to do it again :bang: it was starting spot on and running perfect after the first one eng management light is on but always has been,would a lamda sens have any effect on this,thanks

Same advice, give it a while to relearn best settings. Revving "off the clock" is a bit alarming or is that just exaggeration?

If you're unhappy with the way things are going then reset the ecu again
sure is alarming , when it happens i just switch off and restart and its fine but if you leave it it keeps revving until the limiter cuts it out

Most common cause of engine revving from startup is a leaking (or forgotton to put it back on) vaccum hose, but they tend to do it all the time.
Could be a sticking throttle body or faulty TB position sensor.

i know the saxo does it due to motors on the throttle body getting the wrong signals, but they tend to bounce up to 5000rpm to tickover rather than stick open.

now i know the stilo and saxo are different, infact worlds apart, but the theory is the same.

if something is sending the wrong signal, or even earthing voltage incorrectly, that can make the motors open the throttle body.

remember the stilo is fly by wire, so uses a lot of sensors and electronics to control the throttle body

thanks for the pointers people,think i will pull it apart again and put it back together [slowly]:bang:

Back