Technical '02 Seicento Sporting Clutch / Gear problem

Currently reading:
Technical '02 Seicento Sporting Clutch / Gear problem

creationtwentytwo

Hi there,

My girlfriend just got an 02 Seicento Sporting about a month ago, and up until now it's been great. Over the last couple of days, the bite on the clutch seems to have got closer and closer to the floor, and now it's at the point where reverse won't engage without massive crunching even with pedal fully depressed, and gears are very difficult to get into. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be unusable in the next day or so.

I could be just over paranoid, but I'm pretty sure the brake pedal is feeling a bit seized up too.

I had a Punto about 5 years ago with a similar problem and I seem to remember just having to bleed the brakes to fix it, then found out it was the master cylinder seals had gone which meant the fluid leaked out and the clutch lost all pressure, I don't even know if the Seicento has a hydraulic clutch system though so I'm not sure if this is the case.

Anyone know what could be the problem, and how to go about fixing it?

Thanks

Ok nice one, thanks for the reply.

How is the cable adjusted?

I can see a long threaded bolt with what looks like an adjuster on it in the lower right hand side of the engine bay. I'm just not sure how to adjust it!

Thanks

Ok nice one, thanks for the reply.

How is the cable adjusted?

I can see a long threaded bolt with what looks like an adjuster on it in the lower right hand side of the engine bay. I'm just not sure how to adjust it!

Thanks

Thats the one.

Tighten to bring the clutch arm towards the rear of the car.

Cheers

SPD

How many miles has it done?
Sounds like the old thrust bearing through the pressure plate fingers syndrome.
I fitted a new clutch 15k ago, And after inspection, Is half worn through.

Last edited:
Mine car is now starting to crunch a little into 3rd
i have had a look at the clutch cable but can't find the adjuster :bang:
Anyone guide me too it or a picture showing where it is please ?

P.s Its a 51 plate MPI Sporting

It is on top of the gear box at the end of a long lever arm.

Get neighbour to depress the pedal with your head on ground under spoiler looking aft, it will move. Drive car up kerb to provide more access.

Read what David says (above) about cables and clutches, they both will fail immediately.

Buy new cable,and clutch kit

If you have an 889 inspect the gear box oil level, now before driving to factor, unless it is got lots of oil walk.

Noel

Back