Technical Rad Fan Relays T6/T7

Currently reading:
Technical Rad Fan Relays T6/T7

Afternoon

After sitting in a 3hour traffic jam on the A55 on Friday:eek:. the temp gauge went just past half, then got the *ENGINE FAULT" and light on the dash:bang:.

Plugged Multiscan in and i have P0480 (fan relay 1) and also a P0530 (Air conditioner pressure sensor)

After reading loads of threads i see i need:
T6-slow speed relay
T7-Fast speed relay
F6-50a (always live+power for rad fan)
F16-7.5a (Rad fan ECU)

Can anyone point me the right direction for the 2 relays T6/ T7 as mine are missing:confused:. Parts number etc?

Thanks Paul(y)

Last edited:
Just had a look at relay's on my jtd 115 m/w same relays as T6/T7
and details from relay's are

T6 fan1.. is red one like other red ones in battery fuse board...may have read details little wrong but if you look at other RED relays you can check make sure they are 12v 30 amp 46520412.

T7 fan2...big centre one easier to read details as is a large black relay and a 50amp 12v..46520419..

no idea on fiat part numbers just what I managed to read from the relay's so you may be able to get them from a motor parts store

Last edited:
Early JTDs (up to about May 2003 I think) didn't have relays T6 and T7 fitted. The engine cooling fan was controlled by an ECU mounted behind a panel in the radiator cowling.

Attachments

• Cooling Fan ECU & Wiring.JPG
    Cooling Fan ECU & Wiring.JPG
    874.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Cooling Fan ECU Location.JPG
    Cooling Fan ECU Location.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 137
Evening Davren

oh! ill have to have a look at that. why would muliscan say relay then? it looks like the fuse board has had t6/7 in. but i couldnt be sure if its been changed? if it has would this mess things up?

im half way though fitting cruise control cables in gonna terminate in the morning. so ill have a look when im in that area. is there any strings i can send to test with multiscan? went to stealfods just see if they have any but nah.

Paul(y)

I don't think Multiecuscan is programmed for the cooling fan ECU, so possibly it says relay when there's an ECU fault. When I try to activate my fan on low or high speed with MES, nothing happens. The fan is working normally though.

If your car has the ECU, check the wiring from it. Referring to my first picture above:

1. The grey connector goes to the fan motor.
  2. The blue connector plugs into the bottom of the engine fuse box.
  3. The black connector plugs into a similar loose connector in the battery box, under the fuse box.
  4. The thick black wire bolts onto the negative battery terminal.
Also, check fuse F6 (50 Amp) and fuse F16 (7.5 Amp), both in the engine fuse box.

Attachments

• Engine Fusebox Diagram.JPG
    Engine Fusebox Diagram.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
I don't think Multiecuscan is programmed for the cooling fan ECU, so possibly it says relay when there's an ECU fault. When I try to activate my fan on low or high speed with MES, nothing happens. The fan is working normally though.

If your car has the ECU, check the wiring from it. Referring to my first picture above:

1. The grey connector goes to the fan motor.
  2. The blue connector plugs into the bottom of the engine fuse box.
  3. The black connector plugs into a similar loose connector in the battery box, under the fuse box.
  4. The thick black wire bolts onto the negative battery terminal.
Also, check fuse F6 (50 Amp) and fuse F16 (7.5 Amp), both in the engine fuse box.

ill go an check that in a min. on my alfa and other stilo. i had FES same thing i thought?. i could test speed 1 an 2.

Paul

i didnt even think of that Davren. hhhmmm bit off topic but are all battery coversand fusebox on a 02 the same?, im gonna read the guide on how to do the fuse board, probs try and get a used on.

Paul

The battery cover is the same for all engines up to about July 2005.

ePER lists numerous different engine fuse boxes, so if you're thinking of replacing yours, it would be advisable to get one from a similar year and engine as yours.

Paul does your fan kick in when aircon switched on?

I found out that the ecu Davren mentioned was shot on mine a few years back, when we got to the summer and my airon didnt seem to be working, i didnt kick in with engine temp either. After some help from Deckchair on here using variable resistor in the engine temp sensor and some back probing, I found it was the actual ecu. It was probably damaged from a front end accident a year before. Unfortunately they are over £100 from memory. (n)

I found out that the ecu Davren mentioned was shot on mine a few years back, when we got to the summer and my airon didnt seem to be working, i didnt kick in with engine temp either. After some help from Deckchair on here using variable resistor in the engine temp sensor and some back probing, I found it was the actual ecu. It was probably damaged from a front end accident a year before. Unfortunately they are over £100 from memory. (n)

thanks Minimad

thats tomorrows job along with a good interior clean!, ill let you know how i get on.

Paul

After spending all evening cleaning my battery fuse box which was green!, anyway cleaned it all put t back together, the car didnt spring any faults(y).

connected up my laptop and tried fan speed 1 and fan speed 2. got nothing back.(n)

so im looking for a fan ecu for an 02plate. are all the fan ecu on a 2002, it doesnt have relay T7 the black one. if anyone has one knocking round in the garage, cant find one anywhere:bang::bang::bang:

Paul(y)

update on that as i seem not have have answered:bang: it doesnt.

did you get one for yours minimad99? also are all petrol and diesel stilo's before may 2003 all have the same radiator fan ecu eg if i got a rad fan ecu from a petrol?

im in two minds to put a direct feed. but thats really last resort.

Am i better starting a "Radiator fan ECU" thread as there doesnt seem to be one?

Paul

did you get one for yours minimad99? also are all petrol and diesel stilo's before may 2003 all have the same radiator fan ecu eg if i got a rad fan ecu from a petrol?

Yeah, I did replace the ecu in mine in the end. Here is the epic thread I had in 2008, from post 85 onwards, Deckchair was amazing at helping me out.

https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/11939-aircon-broken-pipe-6.html.

I cant help with your petrol/diesel question, sorry. From memory it wasnt hard to remove so could try finding a local JTD owner?? Whereabouts are you?

Back