524CBEDB-EE1C-44E8-BD96-18672A11CE3E.jpeg

Panda (Classic) Jasper the Mk1 Panda 45CL

Introduction

Looking for a picture, I realised that Jasper doesn’t have a member’s motor thread. So, I think it’s about time a few pictures were put up! (y)

I’ve had Jasper for a few years now, and he’s a very late Mk1 Panda 45. Nearly all untouched, just the offside rear wheel arch has been replaced - the paint there has been blended in, but the rest is original.

He’s been used in Car Magazine for their 100th celebration (Fiat didn’t have one!), and Driven by Suzi Perry. Doesn’t get much more famous than that.... :worship:

Best looking car ever.

We'd had one 25 years ago - same colour/year. Was my 26 mile a day commute. What a joy.

When you're ready...

Oh dear, I'm drooling over that one. Even the blue color is perfect - almost the same as my old DAF 33 van.

Yep. There's a queue forming. Wonderful car and worth more than the £150 I paid in 1995 at the local auction.

Wow, you've got a posh one with a rear wiper....lol, my lowly Panda 40 has only got a rubber bung. Mine is the much lighter blue, and I will be posting a new photo soon because it now has whitewall tyres, which I think really sets it off.

Wow, you've got a posh one with a rear wiper....lol, my lowly Panda 40 has only got a rubber bung. Mine is the much lighter blue, and I will be posting a new photo soon because it now has whitewall tyres, which I think really sets it off.

A 40? As far as I know Fiat didn’t do a 40 - is it a Seat & why did it lose 5 horses travelling to Spain?! (y)

A 40? As far as I know Fiat didn’t do a 40 - is it a Seat & why did it lose 5 horses travelling to Spain?! (y)
His car is indeed a SEAT Panda 40. This was the luxury version. The SEAT Panda 35 had the wiper bung AND the old 848cc version.

Well spotted, and yes it is a Seat 40, although every part on the car is still stamped Fiat and the engine still has all of it's original horses, It seems that back in 1985 Fiat just supplied everything to Seat, then the car was assembled in Barcelona, only a few parts were made in Spain, like the starter motor and distributor which are 'Femsa' items, and the wheels are stamped Seat.

The original paperwork for the car actually states that it is made by Fiat !

Well spotted, and yes it is a Seat 40, although every part on the car is still stamped Fiat and the engine still has all of it's original horses, It seems that back in 1985 Fiat just supplied everything to Seat, then the car was assembled in Barcelona, only a few parts were made in Spain, like the starter motor and distributor which are 'Femsa' items, and the wheels are stamped Seat.

The original paperwork for the car actually states that it is made by Fiat !

I think it was originally exactly that, and basically assembled by Seat. Interesting that the paperwork says Fiat though.

Things got different from 1985ish when Fiat & Seat stopped getting along so well, and obviously the Marbella from 1986 had none of the 1986 mk2 Panda changes.

I’m interested why it’s only 40bhp though - it’s the 903cc ohv is it? All the Pandas/Unos/127s using that had 45bhp so it just strikes me as being a bit strange that itlost 5bhp somehow. Any ideas? (y)

Back