DSCF24412.jpg

Grande Punto Grande Punto T-Jet Big Turbo (TD04) Project

Introduction

Hi guys,

Been lurking on here for a while so I thought it was about time I started a project thread for my T-Jet. I bought it last year as a dailydriver for work, and something that my girlfriend can use as she’s only just getting round to learning.
I’ve always liked the look of the Grande Punto’s, I even had a 1.2 8v mk2 for my first car when I was 17 (11 years ago now, how time flies!).

Originally intended to keep the T-Jet completely standard, however I like to mess around with my cars a bit and temptation got the better of me, so it’s already had a set of Weitec Coilovers, Abarth front lights, and some Abarth 500 Petalalloys off a mate who had a set lying around; They were in pretty bad condition though, so I just got him to paint them grey. The wheels and lights will be as far as I’ll go cosmetically.

This is how the car started:

DSCF24632.jpg

This is with the lights, wheels and coilovers (the car is on 205/40/17 tyres here so the arches look a little empty, I’m going to swap these for the proper 205/45/17’s):

FullSizeRender3.jpg

I’m also currently half way through installing these bits:

IMG_9574.JPG

IMG_9575.JPG

The turbo is a TD04L-13T from an Impreza WRX (genuine turbo, not a Chinese copy) with manifold adapter and downpipe to suit, Airtec intercooler, cams from a n/a 1.4 16v and 380cc injectors (not shown). Once these bits are on it will be getting a 2.5” downpipe back mandrel bent system.

The has been given a full going over including fresh headgasket, belts, oils etc so it’s should be running in top condition.

And before anybody says I’m better off buying a faster car; the parts for the conversion are relatively inexpensive, me and my dad have done all of the work, and above all it’s fun to do. Plus, I already have this…

DSCF24412.jpg

5.0 XKR, which is also tinkered with.

Cheers guys, updates to follow shortly.
Reactions: Kramtech
Yo, I'm running the same setup! Excellent choice and it is fun to drive aswell (y)

However, you need bigger injectors for the power output that you want - you won't be going much past 230hp on VXR injectors. I ran 221hp with stock cams, crap fuel, 300m altitude, 47C intake temp (dyno not having proper cooling) and 1.17 bar boost

VXR injectors are 312 or 322 cc, you need 380cc @ 3bar

You want 5W50 or 10W50 engine oil aswell

Nice car, keep it up!

PS. Buy a set of Abarth tail-lights

Last edited:
Yo, I'm running the same setup! Excellent choice and it is fun to drive aswell (y)

However, you need bigger injectors for the power output that you want - you won't be going much past 230hp on VXR injectors. I ran 221hp with stock cams, crap fuel, 300m altitude, 47C intake temp (dyno not having proper cooling) and 1.17 bar boost

VXR injectors are 312 or 322 cc, you need 380cc @ 3bar

You want 5W50 or 10W50 engine oil aswell

Nice car, keep it up!

PS. Buy a set of Abarth tail-lights

Thanks for the heads up Filipe, for some reason I thought the Corsa injectors were 380cc! I'm going to order a set of 395cc's tonight.

Is that oil not a little bit heavy? Not exactly the hottest climate in the UK either.

How do you find the power delivery with the TD04? does it pull hard to the redline now?

There is no 395cc injector...They are 380cc but, given that they usually sell them as an upgrade for the Corsa OPC and that runs a 3.3 bar FPR, they advertise them as 395!

T-Jet runs a 3.5 FPR, so that translates to 410cc. So the injectors you want are 380cc

380cc @ 3bar
395cc @ 3.3bar
410cc @ 3.5bar

and so on.

There are no problems with 10-50 or 5-50 oil. Abarth designed their 180hp engine around the 50 grade oil. It's not the cold start viscosity that is the problem, it is the other number. A T-Jet runs only 3.3L of oil when filled up to the brim and that is including the oil filter. The optimal oil quantity you want in your engine is 3L.

Further more, since it is a very small engine, being only 1368cc, you will have VERY HIGH exhaust gas temperature - Top speed attempts are usually bad if you push for too long - your EGT will reach ~ 950C and after that, you might damage the engine - That "hot-running" nature also superheats the oil and degrades it quickly. Therefore, you want a good protection at that harsh, full boost usage.

so, 3L of oil + very high internal temperatures, does not treat the oil well. 250hp at 1368cc is 182.7 hp/1L! A Mclaren P1 runs 191hp/1L on it's internal combustion engine, so those are sky-high numers! And I'm pretty sure they use much more exotic materials in their engines than a humble small Fiat.

I run 5-50 or 10-50 oil, and a change at every 7500km (4700 miles). OEM Spark plugs at every second oil change, 15 000km or 9500 miles.

TD04 means lag at low rpm. Full boost at ~3300, spool starts at ~2500-2600. But once you hit boost, it pulls to the limiter without a drop in power, and pulls hard. I beat an Astra GSI, Z20LET engine + VXR turbo + remap by some 3 car lengths, in a 2nd-3rd-4th gear pull, at the current amount of power.

This is my car, 60 - 125 mph, 12.8 sec @ 700m altitude.

PS. I mention the altitude, T-Jet engines do not have altitude correction, so the absolute pressure drops the same amount as the atmospheric pressure.

Last edited:
Sounds exactly what I'm hoping for.

Thanks for the explanation on the oil, makes sense! They do have a really small oil capacity!

Do you have a part number for the 380cc injectors? I've seen Bosch 0 280 158 124?

Thanks again.

No worries bud :)

Yes, that is the correct part number :)

Perfect, I've ordered a set! Managed to get them from German eBay much cheaper than UK suppliers sell them for.

Did you/are you going to change the pressure sensors?

I've got the N75 boost control valve, TMAP and MAP sensors that are included in the Abarth Esseesse kit; not sure how necessary they actually are but Fiat obviously felt they were necessary with the bigger turbo.

I run the Abarth SS MAP sensors but stock N75.

Stock T-Jet and Abarth MAP sensors can read up to 1.55bar boost.

Abarth SS MAP sensors read 3bar, and are more precise.

Not really necessary to have them, but there won't be any harm if you have them. They just need to be calibrated in the remap, otherwise you will have much higher boost and not reading it properly. I bought the MAP sensors cos I was running a GT1446 prior to the TD04, and that hit over 1.6bar on overboost.

Last edited:
Yeah I just thought I would get everything on whilst the car is in bits, to save me going back to anything. Car is going for a full custom map once complete.

One thing I couldn't make my mind up on was putting a 19T compressor wheel/housing on the Turbo. Not sure if you're familiar with this but it gives quite a bit more airflow with hardly any impact on spool times (on a 2.0 engine anyway, not sure if it might have more impact on the little 1.4). I didn't think I'd have time to wait for the parts to arrive and then send the turbo off for balancing as I was rushing to get the car finished, but in the end it's taken longer than I expected to get everything done so I would have had time.

Yeh, 19T is the next step up, the WRX impreza runs the 13T, which you and i have.

With the 19T, I think you'd have to rev 100-200rpm more to get full boost, and to utilize it, you'd have to use Road Max cams, full 70mm exhaust (2.75 inch from turbo till the end) and a custom (tubular) exhaust manifold.

All of that will translate into roughly 275hp. Beyond that, ported and flowed head, titanium-nimonic valves, valve springs and retainers, so you can rev beyond 7100, lower CR, fuel pump, and so on, and after roughly 300hp you'd have to forge the engine.

1.2 80hp NA cams:

Intake: 7.5mm lift with 212deg duration
Exhaust: 7.5mm lift with 212deg duration

1.4 and 1.2 86hp NA cams:

Intake: 7.8mm lift with 224deg duration
Exhaust: 7.5mm lift with 212deg duration

CB Road Medium:

Intake: 8.0mm lift with 248deg duration
Exhaust: 7.4mm lift with 244deg duration

CB Road Max:

Intake: 8.7 lift with 274deg duration
Exhaust: 7.4mm lift with 244deg duration

I hope i've helped :)

Last edited:
To be honest I think about 250hp is enough for me in the Punto, I have the other car for serious power.

Improving the power delivery was my main aim, so it pulls hard to redline instead of falling flat after 4500rpm, and it looks like the 13T will do that nicely.

Thanks for the input Filip, looking forward to seeing both of our results.

Hi guys,

Thought it was about time I updated this thread!

Here's the car again as it stands today.

Punto_Final.jpg

Final spec list:-

Engine:
Hybrid TD04L turbo with 19T compressor wheel
Airtec intercooler
Cams from 1.4 16v n/a FIRE engine
380cc injectors
Wossner forged pistons
Shot peened stock rods
Full 2.5" exhaust w/ 200 cell cat and 2 boxes to keep the noise down
3.0ar boost sensors - not necessary at the minute but there in case I decide to turn the wick up more.

Chassis:
17" Abarth alternative wheels which I believe are just Speedline Chrono's - changed from the previous set as the petals wouldn't fit over the brakes, plus I think these look nicer and they're lighter.
Weitec Hicon GT coilovers
Brembo M4x40 front calipers with 305mm discs.
Forge subframe braces

And here's current dyno result - blue line (red line is a previous map).

Punto_Dyno1.jpg

Just under 250bhp and 230lb/ft at the minute running at 1.3 bar of boost. Being forged the engine is good for more but it seems like the stock actuator is struggling to keep the internal wastegate shut from exhaust pressure alone at high revs as the boost is creeping down to about 1.1 bar - this turbo should easily be able to hold 1.3bar and more to redline.

The current spring was only good for about 4psi when we tested the car using wastegate spring pressure alone (taking the elctronic boost control duty cycle to 0). So the next step, if i can be bothered, is to fit an uprated wastegate actuator and go for a map tweak; should see about 260hp then hopefully.

Contrary to what the torque curve looks like on the dyno, it's also fine just pottering around at low revs - just as smooth as stock, but a completely different animal up the rev range.

Last edited:
Hello guys, im wondered whit the 1.4 t jet engine,
I have a preparation very similar to the author of this post, I am forging my engine with wossner and forged connecting rods, start with JE, and end with wossner, I still need some tips, buy NA camshafts, fiat direct , I need to know what mod I have to perform or if I can install them plug play, any advice before mounting? My mods are: grande punto 120hp t-jet ,td04, 390cc, airtek, full exhaust, fully ported heads, i need the abarth ss sensors, what are they needed ?, i plan to launch 1.8 boost,
Please continue updating your post, I loved it
many thanks(y)

Back