2014-09-21_14_46_17.jpg
2014-09-21_14_46_07.jpg
2014-09-17_19_45_46.jpg
2014-09-17_17_57_57.jpg
2014-09-17_17_57_47.jpg
2014-09-17_16_27_28.jpg
2014-09-17_16_27_15.jpg

At long last, Sky Panda has his own thread :D

I acquired this little beastie through the classifieds here this summer.

On collecting him he had a poorly wheel bearing and a very blowy exhaust.

I drove him (carefully!) from Sheffield via (can't remember where) and onto johndragonman's where he sorted out the problems and adjusted a few other issues - like the fog lamps not working!

Next trip to John's we fitted the bonnet and boot lid from BEX for that authentic two-tone shed look :eek:

John also checked and fitted the new trailing arms as you can see they were gonners!

Weather this was due to the lowering springs it came fitted on I don't know, it sure holds the road well though. I would like to fit a set of more "Fiaty" alloys, I've just not got around to choosing a set yet.

I've thought a lot about Sky and to be honest as rare as he is I have no interest in keeping the standard engine (especially with at least one cross threaded spark plug), I'll be looking out for conversion, probably to a 1242 8v, that is a great engine with lovely gearbox perfectly suited to the panda with good torque and long gears.

If I am going to have a 16v I think I'll just get a Panda with one fitted to be honest - seems a lot less hassle that way?

He will get some replacement doors and a tart up next year, he's in the queue behind Gertie and Fizzle in that regard.

He may also get some alfa seats too - I just need to buy a set!

Anyway thread started and a bit of history and a few plans to start with.
Oh and I desperately need to replace the twin sunnies but can't make head nor tale of the Italian eBay sellers method of payment - if someone has a spare pair from him I would gladly take them off your hands!

He looks like an ideal engine conversion candidate to me. A 16v isnt really any more work than an 8v as far as I know and you never know what you're getting with an already converted car.

Don't Ricambio sell new twin sunroofs? I saw them on eBay a while back.

Let me know if you are after someone to do the body and engine work, I may be able to help(y)

I think I know what wheels would go best with Sky the sports panda ;)

I'd forgotten about them! Yes Yes Yes!

He looks like an ideal engine conversion candidate to me. A 16v isnt really any more work than an 8v as far as I know and you never know what you're getting with an already converted car.

True

Don't Ricambio sell new twin sunroofs? I saw them on eBay a while back.

I'll check (y)

Let me know if you are after someone to do the body and engine work, I may be able to help(y)

Fantastic! I could persuade dragonman to do so much but he hasn't a spray booth! ;)

At long last, Sky Panda has his own thread :D
its about bl00dy time! :p:p:p:D

I could persuade dragonman to do so much but he hasn't a spray booth! ;)
yes.. i dont have the "booth".. i may have the rest of the stuff though. :slayer:
i just need to learn how to use it all.

Bolted through the bumper, they are set to point more to the ground as I use them to counter the invisibleness of the car. :)
yes, earthing 2x 55w halogen spot lights through a plastic bumper is sure to bring "light" to success!
to be fair they are held on really solid!

how is that vacuum advance working out? is sky running better?

if i were you, i would go for a 8v 1.2 engine. be it a easy to get hold of but not as powerful punto 60 SPI or a more harder to find but slightly more powerful punto 75 MPI.
i would keep the original gearbox too. trying to convert a punto gearbox to work in a panda would be hell.
the punto 75 gearbox looks nothing like the panda gearbox and i find it hard to believe that the panda's drive shafts would fit the punto box (the punto uses dry shaft CV's where as the pandas is wet shaft). i also don't think the punto 75 drive shafts would fit the panda's front wheel bearings.

it would all be cut and splice work to get the p75 box to work with a panda.

oh and lets not forget that you would have to swap out the rod linkage system for a cable one.

just dont go there haha panda box will be fine!

just to note though, fallout has not been started for 2 weeks.. and guess what happened when i turned the key.. insta start! feels so good. no pedal pumping, no choke pulling, and no maintaining throttle levels till it "warms up a bit"
truly is fantastic. cant wait till i do the same to fallout :D

Last edited:
Dragon Man starting is spot on even in this cold damp spell, turned him over and started so well took him to work. Un fortunately I backed into the rockery in the front garden clipped the exhaust pipe and finally made it a genuine two piece system!
Sounded fabulous though not plod friendly!
I had the local tyre and exhaust fella put a new system on (and mend a slow puncture) for a quarter of what I'd been quoted for a stainless steel system (y)

Sky is running and riding great now, apart from the lack of grip from the no name tyres - had a two wheel lock up (in a dead straight line) behind a honda jazz that slowed without braking in the wet last night :eek:

I still would like servoed brakes fitting and a bit more power (4x4 cam fitting?) to match the poke and stop of Fizzle.

if you achieve a lock up.. its grip.. not brakes :D
get them tyres changed! even some good brand part worn's would be better than them.
must admit though, when i drove sky.. it seemed pretty good :D

Ah yes, going to put the palio alloys on with new tyres (what size tyres for the palio rims Palio has Panto got?)
The exhaust bloke is very reasonable for changing them so no excuses not to get them sorted out at last!

Anyone want a set of 14" alloys?

Oh and the new exhaust has perked up the performance too :D

Last edited:
Can't remember! I haven't seen him other than blowing a head gasket, since we went to Scotland in June. :cry:

He's hopefully going up to the Nec next week, so if VmanC doesn't see this, we can check the tyre size then. I've got a feeling they are 165's though . (y)

Can't remember! I haven't seen him other than blowing a head gasket, since we went to Scotland in June. :cry:

He's hopefully going up to the Nec next week, so if VmanC doesn't see this, we can check the tyre size then. I've got a feeling they are 165's though . (y)

Yes I have seen it, mentioning me helps of course ;). I know i've been very quiet for a while now but I do try to pop in now and again, and after the NEC I'm hoping to catch up and try to resume normal service :).

Anyway, back to tyres. Panto has 175 60 13's on his Palio alloys. Charmanda had 155 70 13's when I had her, either size will be fine but 165 65 13's are probably best.

John, this needs the blue doors on it! just 8x 13mm bolts man.. you can do it!

(and the locks changed..)

you do that and i think you will have an awesome looking panda :D:D

Yeah, if only the doors weren't in North Yorkshire and the car in West Yorkshire!

The sisley doors are to get LVJ the 4x4 through the mot then I'm getting busy with the chequer plate on the doors from LVJ.

I've changed locks, interior panels etc no problem, just find doing the actual door is a two person job.

I have a pair of italian doors with electric windows and maybe power locks too? If you'd like to wire them up for me - they are blue too!

Back