20140730_211211.jpg

Panda (Classic) Monica The '88 4x4 Sisley

Introduction

Cameron onemanmade isn't the only member to have brought us a new restoration thread this week, the Northern division also has a new arrival.
As this is an introduction to the car aswell as a progress thread, I'll be taking the story forward from the point where I've started, plus hopefully finding out a bit of her past.

Monica (now named) has been amongst a couple of forum members now, where she has been dry stored for the past few years. David aquamarine got her at first, then she was moved a bit further north to Paul doctyler where she was due for a re-shell into his black 2wd chassis. Paul told me that he currently doesn't have enough time to complete the project, and has his sights on other projects at present, so he asked if I would like to have a go at this one...

As I've only had a brief look over her at present, she is still wearing her coat of storage dust for the pictures...

Paul had been very helpful as always by dragging her out of the store for us to load up.

Originally she was due to be stripped for the drivetrain and running gear plus Sisley specifics for a reshell into a 2wd car as I have said, but we've had a look round her and to be honest I'm happy initially to get her back on the road. The idea of a reshell would be just right for a car like this, but it's something that would take me a long time to get finished - and with the current projects I have on the go it would take even longer!

My idea with Monica is for a basic repair and restore, and a return to the road. Then all being well she will be introducing a new member to our forum in the shape of Sam, our photographer and un-scared Discovery driver from the last Yorkshire weekend, whom most of you met. Sam came along to collect her and have a look with me...

The work required is fairly common Panda stuff.

She doesn't run, Paul suspects an earth fault - I'll get a decent battery and we'll go from there.

Doors... yep need them...

Yes that is expanding foam in the driver's door!

Welding to the footplates inside the doors...

Buff can donate these sections for replacement, his are just fine.

Looking at the sills, they appear to be in fair condition! A little bit of flaking here and there, but solid nonetheless...

Having a quick look round the other usual areas, she seems to be in good condition in all, although I want to get in there with an old screwdriver to make sure...

I'll keep the progress updated as it is made.

The majority of Sisley parts are present on this one, including the roof rack which is rusty but suprisingly solid...

and then there's this, whether it is true or not...

So she's with us now, first target for me is to get her running (after a good wash), so then I don't have to push it in and out of the workshop! Wish me luck, and I will report back :)
:slayer: Northern division - yeh.

Good stuff Andy,

I'm glad that Sam decided to de-size a bit but that was just a matter of time. He've spend to much time with them.

Keep the progress.

Hey good to see this one again and to hear it will be saved. Some excellent rescue projects going on at the moment.

Andy, I believe the tax disc tells a true story. From memory Monica is one owner, one of the reasons I wanted to save her. Apparently she was parked up in a barn by her original owner and the guy I bought her from (a coal merchant) kept mothering the owner to sell her.

So, will Sam be using her at the Yorkshire day in Sept?... The race is on....:D

Thanks guys :)

David that's a good bit of history to know, I can't believe it's been off the road for 15 years! Did she run when you had her?

Vern I think the idea of a reshell was to make the perfect 4x4, Paul's 2wd shell is mint and it has the Cinq sporting engine plumbed in, so he was going to transfer all the bits he needed off this one.

I keep thinking of that Silver 4x4 we saw at the car graveyard. Ok its interior was full of Uht milk cartons, it looked like there was still life left in it.

Yes there was something about that one, I suppose if you bought one he'd make you buy them both - it'd be interesting to see what he'd want for them, one of us really should've asked! They'd take some digging out but I recon you'd be able to get one out of the two :)

Hi all its Sam Andy gave Monica a good hose down today and as I pulled up I thought she was a different car in surprisingly good shape.

The condition of the body is not past the point of fixing and with a bit time and welding will pass an MOT. But after finding a snapped fan belt this stopped any ideas of trying to start the engine today.

so full service , weld the sills and another structural parts we find , fit new doors , new fan belt and fingers crossed a MOT.

If we can do this before the September meet up..... if not ill be Andy's passenger

Hurray he's on the forum! Welcome :D

As Sam says she's had a good wash off thisafternoon, and come up remarkably well I think!

There are several areas on the bodywork where there are blemishes, small dents, chips and scratches, but it's to be expected. The front windscreen must have been leaking at some point as it's been siliconed in around both top corners. It's the original screen though with Fiat water mark and number plate mark.
All the windows are crack and chip free, both rear window locking mechanisms are working and none of the hinges are cracked either.

I pumped all the tyres back up aswell, she's running ultra skinny 135s but all four are brand new!

The next job was to check out the engine situation, we got Hadrian fired up with some jump leads on the check for the ignition...

...which is all working well, lights and fans all working good.

I wanted to check the cambelt though before anything was done with the engine and it's a good job...

So we now know why she's a none-runner! With her having done 80k miles and one owner, I am thinking that will be the original belt, and the reason why she was taken off the road in 1998.

So I'll get the new belt on and timed up, hopefully nothing should have got squashed inside with it being a none-interfearence engine.

Until I get all of the bits collected it'll be interior out for a clean and rust investigation on the floor.

More updates will follow :thumbup:

Hadrian's new friend :D

Stunning looking thing already. - Sam's a lucky boy.

Correct call on the cam belt mate , well done. If that wasn't done on time maybe the full service was overdue too?
And why did it snap - is the water pump spinning freely? Its easy to fly in and do everything, I think restraint and one step at a time is the right way if excitement can be contained.

At this rate September's event will be oversubscribed just with Sisley's.

Well I don't want to be optimistic about September, I can get the mechanics done but it's going to be a struggle to get it painted in time I think. But anyway as you say slowly slowly - if it hasn't run for that long who knows what could go pop, or infact bang.

The water pump does spin but the position where the belt has snapped was around the pump, plus about 8 inches worth of teeth on the belt have been stripped at that point. The header tank is bone dry but the engine does wind round on the bottom pulley.

Excellent news Andy. Always good to find an obvious fault - fingers crossed she fires up with a new belt and pump fitted (and new fuel...). All I did was fit a battery, never got any further. I did swap the wheels though - the ones on Monica were shot through when I got her, and tyres perished. I needed to improve her "pushability" to get her home and into the garage.

Can't wait to see Monica (and Sam) on the road.

David

Back