image2534.jpg

Panda (Classic) Serge - the Panda ST

Introduction

Well as some of you know I have bought purple haze's panda ST.

After VmanC had done some body work repairs myself and my dad Par made the long 240 mile trip to Panda HQ to collect it. What a journey, with interesting weather and long queues we finally made it at around 3pm (left home at around 9:30am!).

After showing my dad what Panda HQ is all about and showing him various Panda's in various states and a nice Lancia Y10 (@panda panda) we set back on the long journey taking the ST on what is most likely the longest journey it had ever been on.

We finally made it home sometime around 9:30pm. It was again a long and interesting journey but highly enjoyable. I'm rather surprised at how quick the panda is and how non existent the brakes are (although the air brake works just fine (y)). It's also crazy how new the gearbox feels, it took a while to get used to.

Anyway without blabbering any more here are some pictures:

A couple of Pics at Panda HQ:

image2537.jpg

image2538.jpg

Home safe and sound:

image2535.jpg

image2534.jpg

Grumpy panda also came for the journey and appears he actually enjoyed it!

image2536.jpg

I'll need to take some better pics in the light but here are some taken by Kev and Vern previously:

image2539.jpg

image2540.jpg

image2541.jpg
I'm rather surprised at how quick the panda is and how non existent the brakes are (although the air brake works just fine (y)). It's also crazy how new the gearbox feels, it took a while to get used to.
They sometimes feel surprisingly fast, a long hill not always your friend though (y)

Brakes feel like they are non-existent but if you keep pressing and hoping, they do actually stop the car :rolleyes:

Gearboxes very rarely feel new but the ST is very low millage remember :)

Great to see him in home with you....not quite the longest journey as we did 290 miles in a day a few months ago. I know what you mean about the gearbox...nice and tight. The engine feels just right though and I'm waiting for the engine in our Bianca to loosen up as it still feel a bit too tight, even after 3000 miles.

We hope you enjoy your time with Serge as we have....like I said before, we could not stop driving him...:D

Well my dad Par took the Panda for a spin for the first time. He seemed to enjoy it (y) we also replaced the air filter for a K&N to help persuade out a pony or two :p

We also looked into why the rear windscreen wiper wasn't cleaning properly and turns out its 4" too long! Will need to sort that out at some point.

Needs a clean soon ready for panda camp and so we can get some pictures for the insurance.

Great to see him in home with you....not quite the longest journey as we did 290 miles in a day a few months ago. I know what you mean about the gearbox...nice and tight. The engine feels just right though and I'm waiting for the engine in our Bianca to loosen up as it still feel a bit too tight, even after 3000 miles.

We hope you enjoy your time with Serge as we have....like I said before, we could not stop driving him...:D

I must start work on my ST instead of not driving him :)

Quick update, Par has been having a fettle.

The dwell angle is at 40* (where it should be 53*) so he is going to check the timing tonight. Anyone know if you can use a timing light on the Panda? I don't think you can on the SPI but guessing you can on the Carbed?

Yes, sure you can.
Depend what Timing light you got, pos neg + probe on HT lead no.1. Have you tried adjusting the dwell angle? Allen key no.3 IIRC thru small hole on the back of dizzy- just wrap insulation tape to prevent shorting out.

Thanks for the tape tip Kolza, fantastic innovation being able to adjust points while engine running, might have caught-on if it wasn't for electronic ignition!
Great to have an engine that doesn't need a computer to run it, just basic mechanics and electrickery...
Dug out my Gunson's Testtune from what I thought would be its final resting place at the back of the garage, that was £19.95 well spent in 1980. Could replace it now for around £15! The silicon chip has really come down in price over the last 34 years.
Anybody tell me where to get 4* petrol @ 75p a gallon?

Back