20130822_195627.jpg

Panda (Classic) Hilary the '91 Sisley

Introduction

Hello all and finally I have news and pictures of the new addition to our growing circle of 4x4s.

So without further ado here is Hilary!

We picked her up on Saturday morning from Kendal in Cumbria, she has spent the last twelve years being run by the same lady around some of the most picturesque countryside you'll find in this country. As some of you will know I got my hands on her through ebay (thanks to @homeward for posting the link up :D) and she's a beauty. Named after the lady who I bought it off.

She failed her MOT two years ago on some good rusty bits...

...and the usual 4x4 problems, brakes, wheel bearings, shocks, engine mounts etc. But as far as rust goes she's not actually that bad considering she's lived half her life on a Farm (all be it a very clean one).

Previously had a couple of patches in the boot but the sills (what's left of them) are original as are all the chassis legs and floor pans. She's had a catalogue of new bits including a fuel tank (yay) and a master cylinder, but the previous owner told me that the car was just getting too expensive to keep running so it was time to let her go.

Now I have brought her back to Yorkshire she'll be getting restored to roadworthy condition over this winter period, I can't wait to take her for a drive in the sun next year, she runs sweet as a nut. The milage is original as I have all the receipts for the period of the last two owners which takes it back to 6 months old in early '92.

Although it is a later Sisley and of the Burgundy veriety she still looks great with the original white stickers on the lower body, original roof bars and three original Sisley hubcaps...

...All of the other original Sisley parts are present including the full interior and inclinometer, even the original stereo and speakers!

The only bad bits apart from the holes in the chassis are the drivers' door which has rotted badly, the sump and guard have had a fair bash at some point and the nearside front corner has been damaged in a collision. The drivers' seat is also ripped.

The description on the ebay auction wasn't great which worked in my favour really as a friend and I went to view the car before bidding, so I think people would have been scared to bid blind on this particular car. Nonetheless I got it for a good price and this one will be saved (y)

I'll keep updating the thread with progress, she's off in for the welding work next week so people may be able to see her on the weekend of the Panday :)
Yes she'll defo be about next year but it'll be doing all of the mechanics that will slow the job down as I will be doing that meself, obviously with having the new little one my time will be limited as to how much I can put into the old girl :)

Yes she'll defo be about next year but it'll be doing all of the mechanics that will slow the job down as I will be doing that meself, obviously with having the new little one my time will be limited as to how much I can put into the old girl :)

In your own time, as long as you've dry storage the oyster is yours and you can take as long as you want :)

Yep, no rush, I'm just used to being able to go out and work on my cars whenever I like:eek:

Such a nice feeling. I've that wil small projects, but not cars as no workshop big enough, just 2 storage garages (which is still luxury don't get me wrong, but wish I had another 2 for the other 2 Panda's).

Yes it'll be one to keep tidier as it's alot better and straighter to start with, she isn't off for a respray or anything yet though, I dont have the money at the moment to be making her immaculate :)

Mr Dragon Man there will be no racing done, have you had much progress on Fallout recently?

Thanks guys, I have two external sills and my man at the steel works is gonna press some internals for me to match the originals, the back sections are solid but the fronts have gone and both jack points are hanging off!
I am interested to know about the internals that your man at the steel works is going to press. Is this a big job? There must be a market to make and sell these?He could sell me two of those, one for each side. How much of the inner sill is he pressing?

I am interested to know about the internals that your man at the steel works is going to press. Is this a big job? There must be a market to make and sell these?He could sell me two of those, one for each side. How much of the inner sill is he pressing?

I will find out how much he will charge when he has done mine and let you know, he will do the full length- proper job :thumbup:

John the spring mounts them selves are fine bit where they meet the chassis will need patching :rolleyes:

...genuinuity...

I nominate this as neologism of the day (erk; clack...): (y)

genuinuity, noun: a concatenation of genuine and continuity... -- a state that all classic Panda owners aspire to with the repairs of their precious vehicles, but do not always achieve. ;)

Back