I.C.E - How To Guide Directory

Currently reading:
I.C.E - How To Guide Directory

Ok, most of the threads here seem to have a common relationship on some of the basics of ICE.

Thats where this thread comes in. Each week (from next sunday) im going to write a short "How To..." on the common problems of ICE. I'll probably post each one in a new thread, but put a link to it here. If this was to be made a sticky, it would act as a kind of contents page to various how to's.

Topics:
How to wire an amp
How to install a headunit
The difference between amps
Speaker buying guide (what to choose for what application - what fits and what doesnt)
Sub types (type - ported, sealed, free air and their size - corresponding to use)
What cabling should i use + common issues
Installing Speakers in NON standard locations
Sound Environment issues. (sound deadening vs annoying rattles)
Different ICE setups (subs, non subs, co-ax or components)
Designing an install - Custom vs Standards

If anyone else has ideas for topics or wants to write their own articles then post here and i can add them to the list.

Re: I.C.E - the 4 1 0..

wolfracepunto said:
Good man (y) :)

Under the speaker buying guide are you going to include different setups like examples of systems without sub woofers etc.....I might be needing info like that in future ;) :p

Yea certainly will do something like that - prob its own section
*adds it to list*

Oh, and if you want good bass without subs - i recommend vibe QB69's whole heartedly :D

Last edited:

D4NS said:
The question is how long till you forget, cant be bothered or run out of ideas. Im being optomistic and guessing youll keep it going for 3 months if you post every week. :p (y)

Well i'll keep doing them untill theres little left to cover. The more thats suggested / asked about in the forum, the more inspiration i have to write a topic on :)

Although some bigger topics can be done over 2 weeks. Just something to catalog. Good idea dont you think? Its not necessarily about writing every week on the subject of ICE, but more about making a directory of common ICE issues. The fact its done weekly is because i have too much work to do any other time

how bout specific car installs, which car takes what size speakers etc, will need input from other members for this though.

if theres anything i can do, give me a shout, i have written a how to on my install, maybe that be put up somewhere

Sure gaz, this isnt a 1 man venture :D Everyones welcome to add their own input. Just let me know the link to the thread so i can add it to the list (y)

But yea a list of speaker sizes could be usefull. Spreadsheet of front/rear speaker sizes across the fiat range.

Sorry im lazy and not read reply's, but if its not been said maybe a page on WHich cables and why. How to work out what Guage cable you need

What about an article about designing an install? In terms of physically designing one and deciding what components would be best suited for your typre of music, etc.

chaos said:
What about an article about designing an install? In terms of physically designing one and deciding what components would be best suited for your typre of music, etc.

i will add it to my list, but the actual physical side of things isnt one of my forte. I will however give it my best, and invite anyone else with their input to feel free...

luke1985 said:
i will add it to my list, but the actual physical side of things isnt one of my forte. I will however give it my best, and invite anyone else with their input to feel free...

I could do an article on building a custom sealed sub enclosure if you want......

I wouldnt even attempt my own sub box. If you dont get it perfect then you dont get the max out of the sub. Dont get me wrong, if you can cope with all the maths behind it... then give it a go. I looked at it bout a year ago and thought, **** this and i was doing a level mechanics, pure and decision at the time. lmao. :p :D (y)

Go on chaos you know yo want to really. (y)

Just thought id better mention, i know i havent done any tutorials for a while - and wont be for another few weeks. Uni exams rapidly approaching so been very busy :)

Also want to say if you have any other ideas for tutorial guides, please say so and i'll research and get one done (y) simple as that ;)

Hi Luke
Just to change subject back to Amps for a bit, have 3 questions, which you guys will probaly answer in seconds.
1 with Amps what does 1/2/3/4 channels mean.
2 which would be best, wire spekers into amp or leave in headset.
3 When I spoke to a lad in Halfords he told me an Amp will only give you mega base, not more clarity and depth of sound, and kept turning on this huge speaker thumping away shouting SEE!, i think he called it a woofta I couldn't bloody hear, is he right.

Back