500BigBarn2.jpg

500 Red 1.2 Sport travels to Sweden.

Introduction

The 500 seems to be quite happy tackling the forest roads of Scandinavia.

Re: Red 1.2 Sport travels to Sweden

Hi Wreckmaster

We have a summer house in the forest about 30K from Jonkoping. The photo was taken at Linnefallen, midway between Mullsjo and Habo. This year, we travelled to Sweden using the ro-ro route from Tilbury to Gothenburg, rather than doing the long drive through Denmark and across the Oresund bridge. The 500 created a lot of interest among the crew and looked very small hidden in all those containers.

Hi Wreckmaster

We have a summer house in the forest about 30K from Jonkoping. The photo was taken at Linnefallen, midway between Mullsjo and Habo. This year, we travelled to Sweden using the ro-ro route from Tilbury to Gothenburg, rather than doing the long drive through Denmark and across the Oresund bridge. The 500 created a lot of interest among the crew and looked very small hidden in all those containers.
Hi Mitch, Just out of curiosity how much did it cost you, how long did it take who was it with etc etc? Oh and do they go to Finland as well?

Hi Wreckmaster

Hi! How was the ferry trip with tor line compared to an ordinary ferry? And how long did it take? I am planning a trip to England next year to a 500 meeting there with another forum! I live only 250km`s from Gothenburg, so this route could be intresting to find out more about(y) I tought I had to drive to Esbjerg and take the ferry to Harwich or Newcastle from there:) Went to Italy with the 500 this year and the 500 is such a great car, even on long trips through europe(y)

Hej Wreckmaster

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been driving in Europe this week. You need to contact DFDS - Tor Line. They operate container ships from Goteborg to Immingham and Goteborg to Tilbury (London).

http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/EN/

This is the information in English but I am sure they will have a web page for Swedish passengers.

The contact emails and phone numbers are at

http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/EN/Presentation/Passengers/Bookings/

Prices of tickets are at

http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/EN/Presentation/Passengers/PassengerFares/

The Swedish Tor Line office is at Skandiahamn in Goteborg. The ships usually make two journeys a week. Although most of the cargo is containers, there is room for up to ten passengers with their cars or vans. You get a cabin with shower etc. and eat in a small room shared with the crew. There is NO entertainment or shops etc. and the voyage takes about 30 hours. But it is a very quiet and peaceful way to travel. The cost is about the same price as the old ferry service Newcastle - Goteborg. This year when I travelled from Goteborg to the UK, the only other passenger were a Swedish lady going to visit her son in England and a Norwegian driving a lorry loaded with 24 tonnes of salmon from Tromso to England.

Hope this helps with your plans?

Thanks for the info Mitchc(y) I will have a look at it:) Have you ever used the Esbjerg-Newcastle route? It`s a shame most routes from Scandinavia to England is cancelled:(

I've travelled to Esbjerg from Harwich many times. But, to get to Sweden, you must drive across Denmark and pay tolls at the Great Belt and Oresund bridges. (I seem to remember the cost is 300 Danish Krone and 260SEK for each crossing - that's 1200 Krone for a two way journey!!). You then have to drive up to Gothenburg or across via Jonkoping.

In my 500, the journey from Esbjerg to Jonkoping will take about 8 hours. The price of the ship from Tilbury to Gothenburg actually costs about the same as the Harwich-Esbjerg ferry service and you don't have to do a lot of driving and pay extra for the bridges and petrol.

Yes, I agree its wrong that there are no ferries UK-Sweden and UK-Norway. DFDS say its because everyone travels by aircraft, but this is obviously not true. They just want to save money and not buy new ships.

My plan is too drive down to Gothenburg(2,5hours) and take the ferry from Gothenburg to Frederikshavn(3hours) which is on Jutland and from Fredrikshavn drive over to Esbjerg and take the ferry to Newcastle from there... Then I dont need to drive via Malmø, Copenhagen and Storebelt. The drive down to Copenhagen from Gothenburg through Skåne is so boring... And both the bridge from Malmø to Copenhagen and the Store Belt bridge are pretty expensive:(

I work at Harwich port and the DFDS ferry to Esbjerg is almost always full, even in winter. I think DFDS Tor Line are just being cheap! It's a shame there aren't more routes to Scandinavia, as driving there is a real pleasure.

I work at Harwich port and the DFDS ferry to Esbjerg is almost always full, even in winter. I think DFDS Tor Line are just being cheap! It's a shame there aren't more routes to Scandinavia, as driving there is a real pleasure.
Scandinavia might be my next driving holiday next summer :)

Back