Technical How to install Connect NAV+ to Fiat Stilo 1.6 Dynamic

Currently reading:
Technical How to install Connect NAV+ to Fiat Stilo 1.6 Dynamic

That is correct. This is the place to put the Navi microphone for the voice commands, or any other microphone u want.

There is no mic there but you can buy one from any electronic shop (won't cost you more than £5) and put it in there.

Dear friends,

I need your help, I just put to my stilo 1.4 a navigator system from abarth and I have a small problem( no other problems) during telephone connection I listen everything clear but they don’t listen me .
Please keep in mind that I don’t use the original microphone .I have place one from after market .They listen to me when I put this microphone very near to my mouth .

I find in the post one code 735303207 (microphone) is this the proper one?
What about cables for microphone connection is that together with the above code?

Your opinion will be very useful for me.

Thank you in advance.

Slightly off topic but I have just installed genuine reversing sensors, along with the can wiring and feeds as the latest models dont have the wiring for this unit already fitted. I now have the dash mileage flashing which means the system requires proxi aligning. During proxi alignment I could not proxi align the system as there was an unenvisaged ecu seen on the system, (my new reversing sensor ecu). I am now in the process of trying to reprogramme the body computer via examiner, if I have any success it would obviously be useful to you guys fitting Nav+, and I will post it here. If I am unsuccessful has anyone actually tried the power delay method and does it work?

To all forum members:
I read with dismay the number of you telling people to proxi-realign, and flashing dash issues will disappear (for those installing new items). People have bought devices in good faith and then get upset at the naff installation (how do you sell a car where the mileage constantly flashes?).

Let's end the poor advice, understand the issue, and deliver a solution!

ISSUE:
Add any new Node (intelligent electronic device) to the Stilo and the mileage flashes - despite proxy-realignment, it won't stop.

REASON:
The Body Computer (referred to as BC) has detected an unknown Node (or ECU) on the CAN network. This element of the diagnostic check has failed and so the BC actions its instruction to inform the user by flashing the mileage. Equally, removing any installed Nodes will deliver the same result.

WHAT ARE NODES AND WHAT AREN'T?
A Node is an intelligent electronic device that needs to talk to other devices on the car in order to operate effectively. Rather than run large amounts of cable, they talk to each other via a data network called the CAN line.

Examples of Nodes are: Connect+ Navigation System, Reversing Sensors, etc.). Low tech items (such as Cigarette Lighter, Glove Box Light, etc.) are not Nodes and can be added or removed at will.

TECHNICAL DETAIL:
The BC completes a diagnostic check every time the ignition is switched on. You see this when all the dash symbols illuminate and the word "CHECKING" appears in the display. During this check the BC looks for the Nodes it was programmed for at production. If it finds any NEW or MISSING Nodes the daignostic fails and the mileage flashes.

The BC is programmed against your car chassis number and so the details of Nodes matches the post production specification of your car. The BC can only be programmed ONCE - so it is impossible to add Nodes. Equally you can't order a new BC as the dealer will take your chassis number - order one - it'll come programmed for your car - you'll be £150 out of pocket and it still won't see the NEW Nodes!

Don't even try the other obvious route - order a BC for a chassis number that has the item already on it that you want to add to your car. If you do, the BC will come programmed with that spec, but with a chassis number that doesn't match your car - it won't talk to the other primary nodes on your car and nothing will work!

SOLUTION:
To add any NEW Node the item has to be installed, but not visible to the BC diagnostic. The check takes 3.5 seconds (it completes when the dash symbols go off and the mileage appears). The solution is to delay connection of the +12volt ignition feed to your Node until after the check.

The BC completes diagnostics OK, then your Node is connected. The New Node will talk on the CAN network and no conflicts arise.

THIS IS THE SOLUTION FOR THOSE OF YOU CONNECTING CONNECT+ (and have the flashing mileage issue).

HOW TO ACHIEVE THE DELAY:
Don't build a circuit - how many of you are electronics engineers?. The answer is a time delay relay - here are the details and where to purchase - don't panic, they'll deal with you for a single item.

Supplier is Farnell Electronics on: www.farnell.com
Part Number is: 104027 (put this into their search engine)
This is an OMRON 12v relay with variable delay (just turn the dial to 4 seconds - or better still match it to the point where the dash symbols go off)

Here are the connection details:
Pin 13 - Connect to 0v earth
Pin 14 - Connect to +12v ignition feed
Pin 12 - Connect this to Pin 14 above
Pin 8 - Output to your new Node
Leave all the other pins unconnected

CONNECT NAV+ SPECIFICS:
If your doing the Connect installation, then you will have added an ignition feed to Pin 4 of the Power Connector (A). Remove this cable, and it goes on Pin 14 (and Pin 12) of the relay. Pin 8 goes to Pin 4 on the Connect. Don't forget to earth Pin 13

That simple!

PROOF:
This solution is on my NEW Stilo Schumacher GP and and has allowed me to add a NEW CONNECT NAV+ and I don't have a single flash in sight.

Best Wishes to all and to a great 2006.

Last edited:
Hi Stuart,
Yep - Richard's brother.
Many years experience in the automotive arena - just wanted to ensure forum members have the correct method to install parts.

The frustration of spending good cash and ending up either having to live with the flashing mileage or remove and lose money doesn't seem right.

Let's face it, any mods which leave the dash flashing will have to be removed come time for selling the car.

That famous proxi...

Where did this get a life of its own? - the PR is a diagnostic tool for dealers, it allows viewing of error codes and some parameter changes for dealer options. It has never been a method to reprogramme Body Computers.

The whole principle of the BC and CAN system is to enable fault diagnosis, therefore the idea of a dealer being able to modify car programmes is absolutely in conflict with the design principle.

Hence why it don't work!

Great site - not usually something I do this forum stuff - just wanted to give the outcome of changes to my Stilo.

Somebody's on a power trip :p

Although it's cost him enough to get it sorted, installing a whole new dash wiring loom was a great laugh :D

Well done for getting the relay part number, I have spoken to many people without them being able to help. Proxi alignment does work if the nodes are of the correct sort for the vehicle, unfortunately the official answer from fiat regarding adding nodes appears to be true lol. I even enquired about Fiat adding a node to my car spec when they programmed the body computer, no joy. Also alot of system configurations can be changed via Examiner but adding a node was not one of them.

Hey NumanR

How did you get on with the parking sensor install? Was looking at doing this myself and obviously want the OE system.

Where did you get the wiring from? I know one of the connectors on the parking sensor node feeds the sensors themselves, and then the other picks up the CAN, power e.t.c. Was your car pre-wired for the latter? I can't find any wires that look right; might strip down both Stilo's (mum's 5dr Dynamic has parking sensors) and see how it is done, should be a laugh-a-minute :D

GREGORY said:
Dear friends,

I need your help, I just put to my stilo 1.4 a navigator system from abarth and I have a small problem( no other problems) during telephone connection I listen everything clear but they don’t listen me .
Please keep in mind that I don’t use the original microphone .I have place one from after market .They listen to me when I put this microphone very near to my mouth .

I find in the post one code 735303207 (microphone) is this the proper one?
What about cables for microphone connection is that together with the above code?

Your opinion will be very useful for me.

Thank you in advance.

The Connect system uses a mic with a pre-amp built in, so the level will not be sufficient if you use a normal "car kit" mic. If you get the right mic it should be fine.

I got the guys at work to modify mine with a better mic capsule.

The reversing sensors install is not too difficult at all. The sensors are fitted into sleeves which locate into a new bumper trim, the bumper comes off for this and to put a short wiring loom which links the four sensors and comes to a multiplug behind the bumper. If the vehicle is a facelift car then you will need the wiring connectors, a quick trip to a scrappy got me the wiring connectors required. The wiring needs a ignition feed (more about this later), two can wires (feed and can taken from the fuse box breakout looms). An earth, there is another wire for disabling the reversing sensors which isnt needed. Join the wiring up and fit the ecu and the buzzer and it all works great. Only problem was the cluster flashing, this was put right by feeding the ecu from the reverse light feed, so the ecu only fires up intermittently. But I have ordered the relay mentioned earlier and will fit that to overcome the problem. Communication via examiner is all possible for diagnostic purposes and the system works perfectly.

do i understand i correct that you can put nav+ in without plashing milometer

if there i a dele in 12v ignintin to nav+ ?

it will funtion like af factory mounted ?

Yes, you need a delay to the +12V ignition feed to the Connect Nav + unit (Pin 4). It needs to be the time the computer says "Checking" on the dash, my brother timed it to be about 3.6 seconds.

Oh, and NumanR, can't find the wiring for the parking sensor node!

now i have bought connect hope i will recive it soon

Attachments

• DSC00013.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 109
When I installed the CN+ in my Abarth, all the wiring was already there, and it was a breeze, but I've just installed into my Alfa, and it was a bit more work, so I put together a guide for Alfa users, but the general idea should be quite similar if anybody is interested in reading it at http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=45887

And I've only read the posts above about the flashing mileage now for the first time... when I installed my CN+ into my Stilo, my mileage also flashed. I sent my car in to my dealer to sort out some other stuff, told them my mileage was flashing for some reason so they should fix it, and when I got the car back later that day, it wasn't flashing any more. And they don't even sell the CN+ here in SA, so its not something they've likely ever even had to do before, yet they seemed to sort it out without a problem.

My Alfa's mileage is flashing now, I'm going in to the dealer sometime to sort it out, i'll let you know how it works out :)

Right, now it's my turn to do this :D

As I will be trying to do it cheaper than my brother did, I've ordered the parts from Rapid Electronics to make the timer delay myself; my other brother is back from El Salvador in Central America, and since he is an electronics engineer, I'll be capitalising on his expertees :D. Tested it and it works a treat!

Microphone feed is done; I chopped off a connector from my bro's old Schumi wiring loom, and fed the wires down to D20 (the smaller of the two white connectors behind the "My Car" panel; there are two cables on Pins 10+11 which go to nowhere, so I got some cables with pins in, clicked them in, soldered them to another connector which fits into the Sat Nav).

CN+ cage is on back order; what a surprise!

Just got to sort out switched +12V feed now, then GPS/GSM wiring, then get meself a microphone, then it's done :D. Stu has given me 2005/06 maps and 9.8 update went perfectly :D

ANYONE WITH CN+ ALREADY INSTALLED: Feel like doing me a favour? I want to try and source the £50 microphone elsewhere. If anyone feels like popping their console off and grabbing the manufacturer and part number off it, it'd be grand :D

Back