Register Login
Save up to 15% with Adrian Flux insurance!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2015   #31
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

There has been some good advice on this thread. But please before spending money try to charge your battery and see if the light goes out if it does get your altenator checked. Check the battery. It can save you a lot of money chasing a fault that is only a battery charge problem.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

dogsense is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-06-2015   #32
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Post Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

Hello all, New here. I recently changed my steering column over on my 2002 petrol fiat punto. I had heavy steering and warning light. I tried the cheaper method of just changing the power motor and ecu but problem still existed. I saw a post on here and was confirmed by auto electrician that the torque sensor is what causes these to fail, so I went to local scrap yard and got a 2nd hand steering column and changed the ignition barrel over to my original and all works fine. Have now been driving happily for 1 month and noticed the light came back on and stayed on but still had BOTH modes of steering CITY AND NORMAL. So my question to all of you is why does the steering warning light come on but does not affect my steering.
Thanks all in advance.
Thanks sandaru thanked for this post
Likes sandaru liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

huck1975 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-06-2015   #33
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

Quote Originally Posted by colinp123 View Post
I have a 2001 1.9 diesel van my steering light is on and my fuel gauge is on empty. car has fuel and steering was working but went to start this morning and it try's over and over but will not start
Hi Colin, I stripped my mk2 punto steering column out and realised I did not attach the collar around the ignition as I tried to start my car it would just wind over and not start. Maybe an idea to have a look at that? im no mechanic but that was an issue I had.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

huck1975 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-06-2015   #34
Busy rebuilding pand'a
 
oldhammer's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: manchester'ish'
Posts: 5,047
Thanks: 437
Trader Rating: 0
oldhammer has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

Quote Originally Posted by huck1975 View Post
Hello all, New here. I recently changed my steering column over on my 2002 petrol fiat punto. I had heavy steering and warning light. I tried the cheaper method of just changing the power motor and ecu but problem still existed. I saw a post on here and was confirmed by auto electrician that the torque sensor is what causes these to fail, so I went to local scrap yard and got a 2nd hand steering column and changed the ignition barrel over to my original and all works fine. Have now been driving happily for 1 month and noticed the light came back on and stayed on but still had BOTH modes of steering CITY AND NORMAL. So my question to all of you is why does the steering warning light come on but does not affect my steering.
Thanks all in advance.
Hi.
What you need is a laptop and leads and download mes ..multi ECU scan and re calibrate the steering..
If you've not used multi ECU scan before I'd recommend downloading it and running the programme in simulation mode ..you will get the gist of how it works then..
Its simple to use once you've had a play with it away from the car
Thanks huck1975 thanked for this post
Likes huck1975 liked this post
__________________
if some one has helped you here click the thanks button it costs nothing,
oldhammer is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-06-2015   #35
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

Quote Originally Posted by oldhammer View Post
Hi.
What you need is a laptop and leads and download mes ..multi ECU scan and re calibrate the steering..
If you've not used multi ECU scan before I'd recommend downloading it and running the programme in simulation mode ..you will get the gist of how it works then..
Its simple to use once you've had a play with it away from the car
Hi Oldhammer, thanks for the reply. The light only comes on intermittently and just been out in car and didn't come on. Will the light have to be on to use the MULTIECUSCAN? Is this the sort of thing I need? ebay item number 281389377690 also will it be cheaper to get a garage to plug in? What would a general mechanic charge roughly.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

huck1975 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-06-2015   #36
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oxford - UK
Posts: 15,770
Thanks: 547
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

Quote Originally Posted by huck1975 View Post
Hi Oldhammer, thanks for the reply. The light only comes on intermittently and just been out in car and didn't come on. Will the light have to be on to use the MULTIECUSCAN? Is this the sort of thing I need? ebay item number 281389377690 also will it be cheaper to get a garage to plug in? What would a general mechanic charge roughly.
Hi,
it SHOULD store a fault code EVERY TIME the warning light comes on..,

we are at Rugby tomorrow for a show,
feel free to come over and we'll read it for free,

garages charge @30 / 50

Charlie - Oxford
Thanks huck1975 thanked for this post
Likes huck1975 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-06-2015   #37
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
Hi,
it SHOULD store a fault code EVERY TIME the warning light comes on..,

we are at Rugby tomorrow for a show,
feel free to come over and we'll read it for free,

garages charge @30 / 50

Charlie - Oxford
Hi Varescrazy, Thanks for info. Very helpful of you but im south east so a bit far, but always appreciate all the help I get. Good to know there are still helpful people about. All the best.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

huck1975 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-06-2015   #38
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oxford - UK
Posts: 15,770
Thanks: 547
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

Quote Originally Posted by huck1975 View Post
Hi Varescrazy, Thanks for info. Very helpful of you but im south east so a bit far, but always appreciate all the help I get. Good to know there are still helpful people about. All the best.
no problem.., so where is the car located..??

quite a few on here have MES,

Charlie - Oxford
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-06-2015   #39
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
no problem.., so where is the car located..??

quite a few on here have MES,

Charlie - Oxford
Hi I am based in Ipswich Suffolk.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

huck1975 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-09-2015   #40
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

Hi

Just Logged on here. So. The P-S light (54reg Punto) comes on periodically. Restarting the car re boots the P_S. It would appear from reading the posts that there are several possibilities starting with low Alternator output and Or a poor Battery. through Bad Earthing, connectors etc; Once these are ruled out it becomes more Expensive!.

In order to diagnose I have an ELM 372 (V1.5a) interface to USB and can read a limited (engine only) codes. One I get is U6102 which would appear to be a Wiring code?.

Also can the ELM 327 be used with Multi-scan software for more fiat codes?.

That could be useful?

A further issue, if anyone has experienced it, is a tendency to act as if "misfiring" when under load (in gear) at about 1700rmp?

Pete
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

PuntoGU54 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-09-2015   #41
`
 
flisko's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,860
Thanks: 165
Trader Rating: 0
flisko has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

bluetooth ELM 327 can only connect to engine ecu, this can connect to everything apart from body ecu

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pin-OBD-...item5b0f18982e
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

flisko is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 25-09-2015   #42
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

Yeah my power steering come on, on my car only just bought it last week and took it back to the deeper so he could run it through the diagnostics and it went off after that but I don't know if the dealer has just found the problem and just did a dodgy fix on it yet to find out haha
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Ashleebur is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 15-10-2015   #43
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brighton
Posts: 320
Thanks: 20
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

Just tried to change my stereo but i put my original one back in due to problems with the replacement and now my steering light it perm on and it feels really light.. help
__________________
Current car - Fiat Punto Active 8V 2004 - Betsie!
samperry209 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-10-2015   #44
`
 
flisko's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,860
Thanks: 165
Trader Rating: 0
flisko has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

what feels light? steering wheel while turning?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

flisko is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-10-2015   #45
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 259
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: HELP my Power Steering Light is ON! - Start here!

I have read above, my car steering light come on different way what the above didn't mentioned.
When I have turn steering only to the right from 3/4 to full lock on slop uphill the light come on and steering cut power become heavy. Plug multiscan find no error code?
Then I switch the engine on again after 5 minutes no light and steering back normal and it do again when lock right on slop uphill but not on flat floor weird?
very frustrate
I was expect to find error code to flow fault but why no code?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

fv43576 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Power Steering light on start up-If I rotate its gone- ideas? Grande2007 Grande Punto 1 25-04-2013 10:40
(G) Fiat punto power steering (light on) steering rock solid OsamaBinLadin Punto (Mk2/2b) 5 13-01-2013 15:01
(G) Active Sport Steering gone really light.. power steering problem? andyleem Punto (Mk2/2b) 6 13-05-2011 11:59
(T) Power Steering Light Flashes & Door Open Light chrisbhull87 Punto (Mk2/2b) 4 23-09-2010 17:53
(T) Engine Management Warning Light Madness! Power Steering light Insanity! Moneypenny Punto (Mk2/2b) 11 12-02-2010 15:10